A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 28 December 2023

Torn Edge Masking

This month the Group of Seven Cardmakers have been playing with Torn Edges.  There are a couple of ways to use torn edges, but I chose to only use them for masking on this post.  My first card follows the later technique in this video (it starts at the 10:25 mark on the video).

I tore the edges on some scraps of cs, placed them over my focal panel, and sponged in the remaining open area with three colours of Distress inks.  Unlike the video where he leaves the masks in place, I removed them and then stamped so that my branch extends beyond the sponging in a couple of places.  The branch and sentiment are stamped in very dark blue ink and the focal panel is bordered with navy cs.

For my second card, I followed this video which includes stencilling within the open area created by the torn edge masks.


Once again I tore the edges of some scraps of cs, used them as masks, went over the open area with light blue ink, then laid down my snowflake stencil, and sponged with two darker shades of blue.  I trimmed the panel, popped it up on the card base on fun foam, and added three snowflakes and a sentiment die cut once from glitter cs and once from scrap white cs and glued together for dimension.

There is a third torn edge technique but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  Please head over to Group of Seven to see it and to see all the examples made by the group.  You're welcome to link up a card if you try one of the techniques but just be aware it's not a challenge - it's for inspiration only!








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Impression Obsession branch, Great Impressions sentiment
Ink - Distress Tumbled Glass, Weathered Wood, and Victorian Velvet; Versafine Clair Twilight
Paper - white and navy cs
Size - 5" square
Accessories - Spellbinders square dies

Supplies for card 2:
Ink - Distress Speckled Egg, Faded Jeans, and Chipped Sapphire
Paper - white cs, white glitter cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Echo Park snowflake dies, SSS snow die

8 comments:

  1. Two beautiful designs using two kinds of the torn edge technique Susan - the blue on blue is so pretty on the first Sympathy card - and the glittery snowflakes are lovely against the stenciled torn strip area! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards show the versatility of different looks for masking an area, Susan. Love the beautiful and peaceful design of your sympathy card. Your Christmas card is so pretty, especially with the sparkle from the glitter paper. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both cards they are so beautifully CAS xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The masked torn edges using ink blending on the first and then the stencilling on the second both work beautifully Susan. The tranquil colours on the first perfect for a sympathy card, and love the foliage you used, and then the stencilled snowflakes using the pretty shades of blue on the second, and I love the added die cut snowflakes and sentiment using white glitter cardstock. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely sympathy card with such soft colors. Perfect to bring comfort. I love the sparkly snowflakes and the fun border you made with the torn paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two fantastic ways to use torn edges, Susan! The irregular edges make the inked background so interesting. Love the colors you've used! The stenciled snowflakes make a perfect background for the glittering die cut snowflakes! Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful torn edge masking. Love both your cards.
    Happy New Year to you. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great cards Susan... I too thought of masking with the torn edge, Robyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.