A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 26 December 2022

Red and White, and Poinsettias

It's Boxing Day and I've got more Christmas cards for you as we should all still be feeling festive!

Double D wants "Red and White".  Here's what I made:


This was very hard to photograph because of the red mirror cs that I used for the embossing folder!  A very quick card with some layering and the "joy" sentiment die on top.

Then Once Upon a Time challenge asked us to be inspired by a book called The Legend of the Poinsettia.

I did two variations with the same stamp:



In both cases, I watercoloured the poinsettia postcard image, using the pale gold paint included in my Gansai Tambi paints for the background and flourishes for the first one (the gold is more shimmery IRL than it looks in the photo) a pale blue wash for the background for the second one. I fussy cut them and added them to the card bases that I'd dry embossed to frame the image. I added gold gemstones to the centre of the poinsettia and clear ones to the centres of the snowflakes.

Double D "Red and White"

 

Once Upon a Time challenge

 

 







Supplies for card 1:
Paper - red and white cs, red mirror cs
Size - A2
Accessories - PaperTrey Ink joy die, unknown embossing folder

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Viva Decor poinsettia postcard
Ink - Archival Jet black
Paper - watercolour paper, white cs for the first card base and cream shimmer cs for the second
Size - 6x4.25"
Accessories - watercolour paints, gold and clear gems, fun foam, unknown embossing folder

7 comments:

  1. love your embossed red card- soooo pretty and your vintage image in the second and third is a stunner ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. That red embossed mirror card is just stunning. I love the star over the j. Beautiful post cards with the embossed edge all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cards Susan. LOVE the red embossing with the white framed sentiment. So gorgeous. And I love your postcard cards ... it's so fun to see the difference by just changing up background colours. Both versions are lovely, my friend. Hope you Christmas was Merry! Love, Loll

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan these are stunning love the red embossing so gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous red and white JOY card, Susan! The shine of the red mirror cs is amazing, and you caught the pretty shine in the picture. Love the dry embossed background and the pop of the white die-cut sentiment with a frame. The card is so festive and fun!
    You made a great variation of the poinsettia postcard cards. Your watercoloring is beautiful, and I love the nostalgic feeling of the cards. Wonderful choice of the embossing folder, perfectly matching the poinsettias (and swirls) in the postcards!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The red foil embossing is beautiful, Susan! The white joy die cut stands out beautifully! Love the poinsettia scene! I love both of the colored versions! Thank you for the beautiful Christmas card! The white trees are so pretty against the beautiful night sky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cards, that embossing folder is stunning with the red metallic card. Lots of fabulous work here. Thanks so much for playing along with us over at Double D, I hope we see you back again soon.
    Judy~ DD DT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.