A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 5 May 2022

Resisting Snowflakes and a Bleached Bird

52 Christmas Card Throwdown wants a card using the Emboss Resist Technique.  I used a snowflake stencil to create my resist:

I pressed my Versamark pad through the snowflake stencil and then heat embossed the snowflakes with clear ep.  I then sponged various blue Distress inks over the panel and when finished, wiped off the snowflakes with a damp cloth.

I cut it with a tag die thinking I'd enter it in Cardz 4 Guyz "Tag" challenge but just missed the deadline.  Because I wanted to be sure it looked masculine, I added a metal token (attaching it with a brad) and a dark silver die cut sentiment.  The tag is added to an embossed background panel.

I'm also cutting it fine to enter The Paper Players "Birds" challenge but at least I'm in time for this one.  Here's my card:

I created the green Brusho background by sprinkling the Brusho powders on watercolour paper and then spritzing with water. When dry, I stamped the image and heat set it. Then I used bleach and a paint brush to lift the green colour from the bird.

I stamped the sentiment that came with the image across the bottom and a Happy Retirement sentiment up at the top.

I added gold gel pen to all the tiny berries in the image and bordered with a matching gold cs. I found a blue grey cs that matched the colour of the bird (the bleach never seems to take enough colour out to go right back to white) and used it for the card base. The panel is popped up on fun foam.

52 Christmas Card Throwdown


The Paper Players







Supplies for card 1:
Ink - Distress Broken China, Stormy Skies, Faded Jeans; Versamark
Paper - white cs, dark silver cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Paper Roses snowflake stencil, clear embossing powder, Cuttlebug embossing folder, Tim Holtz token, Dee's Distinctively "Merry" die, stitched tag die, dark silver brad

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Carabelle "Dream Wings", SU "Happy Retirement"
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne
Paper - watercolour paper, gold shimmer cs, pale blue grey cs
Size - A2
Accessories - two shades of green Brushos, gold gel pen, bleach, fun foam

11 comments:

  1. A beautiful card, Susan! The Brusho background is stunning. I LOVE how you lifted the color from the bird. The gold accents on the berries are the perfect touch, and look great with the gold card stock. Thank you so much for playing with The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two beautiful cards Susan, amazing embossed image from the stencil it's so crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the addition of the metal token to add masculinity to the card. That is a great idea. Your Brusho background is so pretty and what a lovely sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I love the bleached look - what a wonderful technique that I had forgotten about. The background is fabulous. So glad you joined us at the Paper Players this week. Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards, Susan! I'm so glad that you joined us this week at The Paper Players! Your background technique is beautifully done! I love the softness of the bleached bird and the way you matched it with the card base.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two fabulous and beautiful cards, with great techniques Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card! You used the emboss resist technique very nicely!Thanks for playing at 52 CCT challange

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two wonderful cards Susan! Love the emboss resist which is so well done. I do love collage stamps but often am not sure what to do with them. This one is an inspiration and I need to pull out some of mine and dust them off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both cards are so beautiful, Susan! The emboss-resist white snowflakes pop on the blue sky. The metal token is a cute accent.
    Love the bleached bird with a little tint of green from the Brusho.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two lovely cards Susan. I really like the token you added to your snowflake tag. It does add a masculine feel to the card. Your bird is so pretty over your gorgeous brushos background. Love the addition of gold to the berries! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty snowflakes and inked background, Susan! What a sweet little brad! The bird is perfect for a retirement card! Love the bleached look and gold berries!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.