A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 23 May 2022

Monochrome Brown and a CAS Nativity

The Double D challenge is "Monochromatic (any colour)" and the ABC Christmas Challenge is "K for Kraft" so I've combined the two for this card:

This uses a wonderful technique that my friend Loll taught me.  Here are the steps:

-       Stamp image in brown permanent ink

-       Using torn masks, create snow hills, sponging white over most of the area, leaving just a little at the top of each hill

-       Continue to add sponged snow hills down your card front…you can add in some trees, or whatever you want along the way to add depth to the scene. Sponge sky as well (leave halo around images).

-       Use white pigment ink, white acrylic ink, or white acrylic pen to add snow on buildings, trees, etc.

-       Splatter diluted white acrylic paint to add falling snow

-       Stamp sentiment in same brown ink as image

I then trimmed the panel, cut a dark brown panel and angled it behind the main panel, and added it to a kraft card base. 

While that card took a fair bit of time to make, my second card was quite a quick card.  It's for the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown theme challenge "Nativity".


The image and sentiment are heat embossed in gold and then trimmed with a hemstitch die.  I created a matching gold panel to go behind it by rubbing gold ink around the edges of the piece and heat embossing in the same gold.  Popped it up on fun foam and it was done.

Double D Challenge "Monochromatic (any colour)"

ABC Christmas Challenge "K is for kraft"

52 Christmas Card Throwdown









Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Art-Kure St. Mellion Church
Ink - Distress Walnut Stain, ColorBox white
Paper - kraft and dark brown cs
Size - A2
Accessories - white acrylic paint

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - unknown nativity stamp, Penny Black sentiment
Ink - ColorBox gold
Paper - Gina K ivory cs
Size - A2
Accessories - gold embossing powder, Spellbinders hemstitch rectangle die, fun foam

14 comments:

  1. This is outstanding and I love the sntique look of this card. Although it is of snow, I get a warm feeling when I saw it. Thanks for joining us at Double D Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two fantastic cards, Susan! Love the framing of the nativity and really love the work you did on kraft paper! The snow is so perfectly done. I must see if I have a stamp to try this. What a fabulous effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these cards are absolutely BEAUTIFUL Susan, but you first card is FABULOUS!! I am in love with all the depth and detail you created with just brown and white ink...lovely, lovely card!! Your nativity card is so pretty too, and I just LOVE the image you used! You rocked this monochromatic challenge my friend!! Hugs. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent cards! Love your first one especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this image and it's so pretty with the masked snowbanks, Susan! Such a peaceful scene! Love this Nativity scene all embossed with the gold peeking through the dotted frame!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two lovely Christmas cards Susan - what a wonderful stamp for your snowy card on kraft - and the Nativity is so pretty with the swirls in the stamp! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Susan, your 'frosty morning' card is just BEAUTIFUL! Awesome inspiration! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Monochromatic’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often. We appreciate your support!!

    Darlene
    DOUBLE D CHALLENGE
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Nativity card ab=nd the first card is stunning! Thanks for playing with 52CCT again:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two absolutely gorgeous cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic Christams card. Thank you for playing with us at 52CCT. Goga

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both cards are fabulous, Susan! I especially love the monochrome brown card. I should remember this beautiful color combo - Kraft, dark brown, and white. Great job of making the different shades of snow too.
    The shine of the gold heat-embossing of the second card must be prettier in real life. Creating the matching panel is a neat idea!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Christmas card, thanks for playing at 52CCT colour challenge

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your kraft card is just stunning. The snow banks look perfect. I love the Nativity scene.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! Apologies for commenting so late on your beautiful monochromatic Kraft card, but I do appreciate you joining us at ABC Christmas, and I hope to continue to see your creations! Good luck! :)

    ~Marie B -DT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.