A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 3 March 2020

Poinsettia and Holly

Here we are at the beginning of March so it's time for the new CAS Christmas challenge "Winter Flower".


And it's also CAS Christmas's 2nd birthday!

 
 
And that means there are prizes! 
Winner - $25 GC to Simon Says Stamp
Random Draw from eligible entries - $25 GC to Simon Says Stamp

So be sure to join us this month!


I went with the most traditional of winter / Christmas flower - the poinsettia.


I started by sprinkling various shades of red Brushos and a bit of ......on coated cs and spritzing with water.  I let it air dry and was pleased with the mix of pinks and reds I ended up with.  I die cut three different sizes of the Spellbinders poinsettia dies, shaped them a bit with a stylus, and layered them.

I stamped a sprig of holly on my background piece, using two shades of Distress oxide inks, and stamped and heat embossed the sentiment in gold.  I splattered some gold acrylic paint over the background and the poinsettia, and added the gold paint to the centre of the poinsettia.

I die cut the background piece with a deckle-edged die, and popped it up on a gold card base.   

Here's a close-up of the flower to show you all the lovely tones of pink and red, and the gold splattering.



In hindsight, I wish I'd stamped the holly either in gold or in a more yellow-toned green.

Please head over to CAS Christmas and take a look at the other great cards by the Design Team and this month's Guest Designer, Linda (scrappinstampinsingin).  I'm looking forward to seeing your winter flower cards in this month's link up!










Supplies:
Stamps - Rubber Soul sentiment, Penny Black holly
Ink - ColorBox gold, Distress Oxide Evergreen Bough and Lucky Clover
Paper - coated cs, gold shimmer cs, white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - various red Brushos, Ranger gold acrylic paint, Spellbinder poinsettia dies and deckle rectangle die, gold embossing powder, fun foam

8 comments:

  1. Your poinsettia is gorgeous Susan!! I love how the colors blended together so well to form this stunning flower! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poinsettia is a stunner Susan, I love all the mix of reds and pinks and your gold base is a great frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous layered poinsettia, Susan. The colours are so pretty on the coated card stock. The gold splattering give it some shimmer and the look of texture. Very pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so unique and I love the gold edging. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous poinsettia, Susan, and I love the texture of the brushos! Perfect on the gold card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, beautiful poinsettia created with the brushos. Lovely card, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. Another fabulous example of your Brusho work... gives the poinsettia amazing texture. Great job photographing the gold cardstock too... I find metallic cardstock so difficult to get a decent pic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh....This is fabulous Susan. Mixed media and keeping it CAS. An amazing unique poinsettia and a stunner of a card x.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.