A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 15 March 2020

Comparing Markers on a Poinsettia


   It's the middle of the month so this card is to remind you that you've only got until March 24th to enter CAS Christmas "Winter Flower".

 

I stamped the flower by putting it in my MISTI, inking up with Tombow markers, spritzing with water and stamping repeatedly until I was happy with the results.  I added a gold sentiment and gold splatter (might have overdone the splattering!).

I did another one using Distress markers just to compare.  Here's the focal image (I haven't turned it into a card yet).


I was not as happy with the results with the Distress markers.  They are several years newer than the Tombows but they seem to have dried up a lot more.  I had a much harder time inking the stamp with them.  I had to go over the stamp several times with the marker to get enough colour, whereas the Tombow markers went on to the stamp much more easily.  Did way too much splatter on this one too!

   Guess what?It's CAS Christmas's second birthday!!


  And to celebrate, we're offering prizes:

Winner - $25 GC to Simon Says Stamp
Random Draw from eligible entries - $25 GC to Simon Says Stamp

  So please come and join us!  There is more inspiration for you from the rest of the Design Team and this month's Guest Designer, Linda (Scrappin', Stampin', Singin').









Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black poinsettia, Rubber Soul sentiment
Ink - Delicata Golden Glitz
Paper - watercolour paper, gold shimmer cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Tombow and Distress markers, gold paint for splattering, fun foam

12 comments:

  1. Susan, so pretty and I think the splattering looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both comparisons are artsy and beautiful and thank you for the the comparisons and feedback x. No.....never too much splats x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Susan, I need to do some of these for Christmas. Wonderful inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two beauties, Susan! I know what you mean about the Distress Markers drying up but you achieved a gorgeous look with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both cards are so beautiful, Susan! The fine spatters almost look like snow.
    Thank you for sharing the comparison of the markers. The flowers and leaves inked with Tombow markers do look juicier.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two very different looks with the different markers but both equally beautiful! Love this poinsettia stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing both images with different markers, Susan. I am partial to Zig watercolor brushes. It is interesting the differences of different products. Your poinsettia card is Gorgeous, Susan. I loved all the gold splatters. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful card Susan! I love the gold frame around your card too...it really makes your Poinsettia's stand out! I've had issues with my Distress markers drying out too and have not been very happy with them! My Tombow's and SU! markers seem to always work just fine though. But anyway, lovely, lovely card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both cards are beautiful, Susan. I love your card with the gold frame. The colours are more vibrant with the Tombow markers. But I also love the distress marker card front. It looks wonderful without the framing and with the soft colours. Both are fabulous, my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are both stunning, Susan ~ I love that image! And as for schplatter, can you really have too much, lol?! I sure don't think so with these two! I agree with you 100% about the markers. I have had rotten luck with the Distress markers from day one and always just assumed I got a bad batch, whereas I have Tombows 15 years old and still juicy ... not many, but a few! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of both! Such pretty deep rich reds.
    I find my Tombows to be so easy to work with so I have never bought the Distress ones.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think both of them are beautiful. Fabulous texture with the splattering.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.