A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 26 March 2020

Great Colour Combination and a Circle Challenge

Two cards today for two different challenges.

Just Us Girls has a colour challenge I really like:

I played around with using colours on vellum:


The technique:

1.    Background: Sprinkle Brushos on vellum (can be light-weight vellum as it will be taped down on your cs so that will give it substance), spritz it, and then let it air dry for several hours. 
2.    Die cuts: Be sure to use heavy-weight vellum.  Watercolour them with Zig markers (I use two shades of each colour) and a waterbrush.  Let air dry.
3.    Try to attach die cuts by tucking under a frame to hide the adhesive, or choose a layered die cut so that the adhesive is less likely to show through.

 It's a great way to use up some of that vellum in your stash!

My second card is for Addicted to CAS "Code Word: Circle":

I masked a circle and used lots of little circular pearls:


The technique:
  1. I made a mask with a circle die, stamped and heat embossed my branches in white within the mask, and then sponged over it with Distress Oxide Iced Spruce - it didn't quite give me enough contrast so went over it with Faded Jeans, blending them to get an in-between colour.
  2. The sentiment is heat embossed in white on grey cs, and I used the same cs for a border.
  3. Since I have a large stash of pearls, it seemed a great opportunity to use some. I spent more time pondering the placement of the pearls than I spent making the card! And I think I overdid it and used too many!!









Supplies for card 1:
Paper - white cs, lightweight and heavyweight vellum
Size - A2
Accessories - MFT pierced frame die, Alexandra Renke cornflower dies, Brushos (greens and yellows), Zig markers (blues, greens, and yellows)

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - SU World of Dreams, SU sentiment
Ink - mixed media cs, grey and cream cs
Paper - ColorBox White, Distress Oxide Faded Jeans and Iced Spruce
Size - A2
Accessories - circle die cut, white embossing powder, pearls, fun foam



9 comments:

  1. Oh, I really like both of your cards a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are exceptional and I'm particularly fond of the vellum one. I have a ton of vellum given to me by a son who does the website for a paper company and I've had no success with hit. Yours is fabulous, Susan. Love the white embossed branches too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this bright and beautiful background for your pretty cornflower, my friend! The vellum gives it all such a unique look! Love that soft blue background for your embossed flowers. Such a soothing card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two beautiful cards, Susan! I love the effects of Brushos on vellum and your embossed branches are so pretty! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Addicted to CAS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty second CAS card with perfectly placed pearls x. A stunning first card and love how you used the two different weights of vellum and fabulous colours...A real eye catching card Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two beautiful cards Susan. I LOVE the bright background colour on your vellum and flowers. The vellum gives everything a delicate and ethereal look. Great work! And your circle flower card is gorgeous. I love the soft blue sponging over your white heat embossed flowers. Your pearls look wonderful!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watercoloring vellum is tricky, but you did a wonderful job, Susan! Love the bright colors and a loose touch!
    The circle flower card is beautiful. I'm with you on how much time it takes sometimes to decide where to place pearls, sequins, and gems. :-)
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both are beautiful. Amazing watercolour results on vellum. Great idea to add Faded Jeans to make the white embossed flowers stand out more. I never think of pearls, but they work perfectly for this card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. two fantastic looking cards....wow.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.