A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 10 March 2020

Big and Small vs Symmetry

Two cards today that are kind of opposites to each other.  One is for a "big and small" challenge, the other for a "symmetry" challenge.

First up for Less is More "Big and Small".



I went with a very big star and some very small stars:


I stamped the star in white pigment ink and heat embossed with Shabby White embossing powder and some sprinkles of gold UTEE for extra texture.

I fussy cut the star, scored and folded it, and popped it up with pieces of fun foam (3 pieces layered in the centre, 2 pieces layered in each point of the star so that I could get the centre higher than the points).

I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment and scattered tiny gold sequins and stars around the outside.



And then for Addicted to CAS Code Word "symmetry".



I used the same image on each side of the sentiment:

I used the old SU Baroque Motifs stamp. I stamped it in brown twice, with my sentiment in between, bordered it with brown cs, and popped it up on fun foam.

I'm sending it to my 28 year old nephew as he likes interesting quotes and he was questioning his own feelings of happiness, so thought this would count as an encouraging word for him.


 






Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - SU Christmas Star, unknown sentiment
Ink - ColorBox gold and white
Paper - white cs
Size - 5.25" square
Accessories - gold embossing powder, tiny gold stars and sequins, Stampendous Shabby White embossing powder, gold UTEE, foam tape

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - SU Baroque Motifs, Penny Black sentiment
Ink - SU Baked Brown Sugar
Paper - white, brown, and rustic cs
Size - 6.5x4.25"
Accessories - fun foam




11 comments:

  1. Wow Susan I love how you did the star card. The embossing and fussy cutting and the 3D effect of the star looks stunning x. Your nephew will love the encouragement card, which was so thoughtfully made and what great symmetry and sentiment x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are just great. That star just intrigues me with this dimension and I could almost see myself going nuts with those folds. Love the sentiment and simplicity of your nephews card too but then again I'm always partial to neutral colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous star, Susan! Love the embossing and the scattering of sequins and stars around the edges! A fantastic quote on the second card and a perfect design for a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two great cards Susan. I always admire that star, it looks so dramatic on the front of a card, and also love it in the gold and white :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dimensional star is beautiful. The gold and white scattered look is elegant. What a thoughtful card to make for your nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great cards mf....love, love the star!! gorgeous.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two wonderful cards. I adore that large star, and the way you created all of that awesome texture. Love you interpretation of big and small. Thanks for playing with us at Less Is More. I love the symmetrical images on either side of that wonderful quote. Thanks fro playing at Addicted To CAS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my STARS! 😉 That star card is gorgeous... love the dimension. ?Cool take on the symmetry cue word for your second card. Your nephew will appreciate the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your big star is amazing Susan! Love it with the white and gold heat embossing. And love the dimension you've given it with the folds. The tiny gold stars are so pretty surrounding it. And fabulous quote for your encouragement card for your nephew. I'm sure it will give him something to think about. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, such a great sentiment and I love how you used the code word So glad you joined us at ATCAS this week
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful 3D star card, Susan! The gold shine from the UTEE and the tiny stars & sequins is gorgeous! Love the wise quote of the second card. Your nephew will appreciate it.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.