A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 27 December 2019

Glitter Everywhere

I got together with Loll and Christine to play with glitter a bit before Christmas.  Loll wanted to try Jennifer Maguire's glitter stenciling technique seen in this video.

So for this first card that's the technique I used:


I used a holly stencil, inked it up on the back with Versamark (to make it easier to get it off the double-sided tape - despite JM saying they are easy to peel off, they are not, so use the Versamark!), and laid it over a piece of cs that I'd covered with double-sided adhesive.  I added green glitter through all the openings, tapped off the excess, and then brushed off the remaining excess with a make-up brush.  After removing the stencil, I added silver glitter for the background.

I was going to make two very CAS cards out of it but ended up using both sections, bordered with the same holly die cut, as I wanted the sentiment to say "holly jolly".  When I tried to squish both die cut words into one of the frames, it looked too crowded so decided to add both frames to one card.  Not as CAS as I'd like, but I had to get the card mailed so left it!


Christine then wanted to try doing glitter with die cuts, so I made this card:


I put double sided tape on a piece of cs, and, leaving the release paper in place, I die cut the trees.  I peeled off only the sky part of the release paper from the die cut and added blue glitter, then tried to carefully brush off all the excess (but didn't quite succeed as you can see from the specks of blue in the white trees).  I then peeled off the rest of the release paper and added clear sparkly glitter to the trees.

Trimmed it down, put fun foam on the back, and added it to a shimmery cs base.  I smudged the sentiment when I stamped it directly to the card base, so redid it and cut it out with a label die.

One thing we quickly learned from a couple of failed attempts was that you need to have a strong contrast between the glitter colours.

Loll's craft room was sparkling all over!!  As were we!  And probably even our dogs as we got together for a doggy play date as well as a bit of crafting.

I'm entering the first one in the Christmas Kickstart Challenge "Last Minute Madness" as these really were last minute cards! 

And in the ABC Christmas Card Challenge "Y is for Yuletide" as I think of holly as a typical yule symbol.
 








Supplies for card 1:
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Poppy Stamps Holly Vine Frame die, Penny Black Holly Jolly dies, green and silver glitter

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Penny Black sentiment
Ink - ColorBox Blue
Paper - white cs, white shimmer cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Memory Box Evergreen Window die, blue and clear sparkle glitter, clear embossing powder, Spellbinders label die, fun foam


11 comments:

  1. Your cards are so pretty and sparkly! I'll bet you are still glittering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so much fun playing with glitter. Two fabulous cards using JM's video and then adapting it to use die-cut rather than stencil. Always great when we can stretch the use of our products. The glitter is still all over the floor, table and chairs in my studio. :) I really need to do a super clean-up. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They may be last minute cards but both are beautiful! Thanks so much for linking to Christmas Kickstart - please come back and play again in 2020, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets glitter everywhere! As sparkly as Loll's craft room and you and the dogs were, the end result was worth it as both cards are beautiful Susan!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was fun playing with the glitter even thought the dogs were looking a little sparkly at the end. I had so much fun I had to pull out my stash and give it another go :)
    Beautiful cards Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun and glittery technique. Both cards are sparkly and so pretty and you look like you had fun? x I hope you had lovely Christmas ? x.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to play with your crafty friends, Susan! I was smiling, imagining you and your dogs getting glitter all over. :-)
    Both cards are so sparkly and pretty! Thanks so much for sharing your tips about using VersaMark and having a strong contrast between the colors.
    Hoping you had a wonderful Christmas!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. testing comment notification

    ReplyDelete
  10. So impressive how brave you are to work with GLITTER! But the results are amazing. No surprise, I love the blue! 💙

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful cards!
    Thamks for playing at the ABC Christmas Challenge!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.