A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 5 December 2019

Bethlehem or Jerusalem?

A quick card for the current Christmas Kickstart Challenge "The Christmas Story" - something related to the reason for Christmas.

I did a card depicting the City of David:


I was confused as to whether it is Bethlehem or Jerusalem that is known as the City of David, so being a retired librarian, I had to look it up.  Apparently the Bible refers to both those cities as the City of David - Bethlehem because David came from there, and Jerusalem because David conquered it.  David was one of the early Israelite kings.  So there's your history / trivia lesson for the day!!

I stamped and heat embossed the city and sentiment stamp in black.  I die cut a Christmas star and some regular stars out of gold shimmer cs, bordered with the same cs, and added it to a white card base.

This will be for a friend of mine who is far more religious than me and always appreciates a card that depicts a more religious theme.









Supplies:
Stamps - old unmounted stamp - anyone know the make?
Ink - Versfine Onyx black
Paper - gold shimmer and white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Memory Box Star of Wonder die, small star dies, clear embossing powder

10 comments:

  1. I love this scene and I think that's nice that you make special cards for special friends. She will really love this one. Thanks for the lesson, sometimes things aren't really clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful image Susan, I have a few religious friends for whom this card would be perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the history lesson. I didn’t have a clue. 😂 Wonderful card... perfect for your friend and the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for playing along at The Christmas Kickstart Challenge, Susan. I love your card and totally enjoyed the history lesson too, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your friend is going to love this card Susan. Very elegant! Thanks for the history lesson! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your history lesson, Susan! :-)
    The shine and shimmer is beautiful. Your friend will sure love this card.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I imagine the architecture of both cities was similar and I do appreciate that you looked it up and shared these facts with us, Susan. The shine is wonderful like the moon, star and angels are shining down on it. A lovely card, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't thought about Jerusalem being called the City of David, because I was used to Bethlehem being referred to that way. Very interesting.
    What a beautiful CHRISTmas card! Love this wonderful stamped image...with the X where the Baby lay. :) The extra stars really fill up the sky...so pretty in gold!!
    Thanks for joining us for "The Christmas Story" at Christmas Kickstart!!

    <3
    Janis
    Guest Elf

    ReplyDelete
  9. So classy and elegant and thank you for the information on David x.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.