A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 10 December 2019

Flowers Instead of Christmas

I was inspired by a couple of challenges to make flowery cards instead of Christmas cards!  (Though I do need more Christmas cards!)

First up, Penny Black and More "Flowers All Over" - flowers as the predominant focal element of the card.  I have a friend with an early January birthday and tulips are her favourite flower so it's good to get her card made well before the busy holiday period.


I inked up the tulips in my MISTI with mini Distress inks, then spritzed lightly with water, and stamped onto watercolour paper - I repeated until I was happy with the results.

I used a matching green cardbase, a white heat embossed sentiment on black, and added a scattering of pearls.



Second up, The Flower Challenge "Use a Die".   I needed a card to send off to one of my sisters who's going through a rough time.


I recently bought the Altenew Peony Bouquet stamp and die set after looking at it for a few years.

This is my first time using it. I actually layered three stamps so got a nice variation of colour.

I used the matching die cuts and taped the leaves flat to the cs and popped the flower up on foam tape.

A simple sentiment and three sequins finish it off.









Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Penny Black tulips, Chocolate Baroque sentiment
Ink - various small Distress inks, ColorBox white
Paper - black and green cs, watercolour paper
Size - A2
Accessories - white embossing powder, pearls, fun foam

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Altenew Peony Bouquet, PTI sentiment
Ink - various greens, pinks, and red Distress ink
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Altenew peony dies, Lil Inker stitched rectangle die, foam tape, white sequins

11 comments:

  1. when we are all engulfed in Christmas it's so nice to see flowers. Susan, I love the direct to stamp colouring and the loose watercolour with spritzing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. people go ahead and have birthdays even when we are making Christmas cards and she will love this one. It is refreshing to see a beautiful spring like card right now. I wish your sister well and this card should cheer her up with it's lovely coloring and dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making Christmas cards is my favourite, but birthday cards are needed the most. These floral cards are beautiful. You will brighten your sister’s day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really gorgeous image and colour choice, the design shows off the image perfectly. Thank you for joining our 'Flowers all over' challenge at Penny Black and More.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two beautiful cards Susan. I do LOVE that PB bouquet of tulips. Love the colours you've used to make a very bright and cheerful BD card for your friend. And the peony is lovely with the layers of colours. Your sister is going to appreciate your support. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these bright and pretty tulips, Susan! Love these colors! And the peony is so pretty! Great job of layered stamping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card Susan and I love the flower in pink! Great job and thanks for playing along with us at The Flower Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love tulips too! Both cards are so pretty but I just love that first one. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful and very refreshing!!
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cards and especially loving the first one x.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous creation, thanks for joining Penny Black & More @ Allsorts challenge, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.