A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 19 January 2019

Blue Valentine

Those of you who know me will understand why I could not resist the latest Color Throwdown challenge:


A friend asked me to make her a few Valentine cards and blue is also her favourite colour so I thought I'd do one of them in blue:


I used Karen Dunbrook's technique of smooshing by applying the ink with a scrap of acetate.

I used quite a small piece of acetate as I wanted to limit where my ink went. I lightly penciled lines on my mixed media cs to indicate where I wanted the ink to go.

I started with the lightest blue, patted it on my craft mat, misted it, picked some up on the acetate, and pounced it between my lines. Then dried with my heat tool and repeated with the medium blue and darker blue.

The hearts are die cut out of white shimmer cs. I popped them up on foam tape.

I added a sentiment (on a lttle punched label as my attempt to stamp straight onto the card ended up crooked so restamped and punched it out.

The panel is trimmed with a stitched rectangle and taped onto a blue shimmer card base.

What do you think - is it okay to step away from red and pink for Valentine's Day?





Supplies:
Stamps - SU sentiment
Ink - Distress Oxide Tumbled Glass, Salty Ocean, Faded Denim
Paper - mixed media cs, blue and white shimmer cs
Size - A2
Accessories - heart dies, SU label punch, foam tape, Lil Inkers stitched rectangle die



9 comments:

  1. great control with the placement of your background colour, love that swish of blues. The perfect frame for the hearts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful design, carefully placing the color on your wavy line. I'm all about nontraditional colors so I'm fond of the blue for Valentines day. I too am amazed that even with a MISTI I can still manage to stamp crooked usually when the card is done. Nice save on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I LOVE this card Susan! Beautiful design and great work keeping your smooshing with acetate to a very restricted area. Definitely blue is the new pink for Valentine's Day! This is gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wonderful thing about designer our cards...we can use our own imagination and make cards for our friends and loved ones that they would really like too:-) TFS your blue artsy watercolored background for your die cut hearts. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure is Ok to step away into the blues for Valentine's. Such a creative and unique card, which I love x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful control you got with the acetate, Susan! I love the layered shades of blue and the row of different sized white hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your smooshed effect behind the hearts!! I may have to CASE this beautiful card!! Thanks for playing with us at the Color Throwdown!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smooshing is my favorite thing and I like how you controlled it. This is a pretty line of hearts and blue and white are certainly good for Valentines. That's what is so great about creating our own cards, we can make things any color we like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love, love, love the look of this beauty....great results and I like the way you controlled it across your card front!!
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.