A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 28 August 2024

Vellum Three Ways

The Group of Seven Cardmakers are focusing on vellum with embossing (dry, wet, or heat) this month.  I've chosen to only use dry and heat.

My first card is just a simple embossed frame on my piece of vellum, with the texture of the embossing remaining quite subtle.

I love this embossed snowflake frame - I have so many stamps that will fit in it.  I used quite a heavy weight vellum as it takes the embossing folder better.  I stamped the bird and sentiment on the front of the embossed piece, and then coloured it on the back with alcohol markers.  I added the whole panel to a double sided adhesive sheet in order to adhere it to the card base.

This next card is my favourite of the three.  Again it uses an embossing folder but by colouring it on the back with Distress inks, I was able to make the embossing show up more.

Again I used a heavy weight vellum.  But this time I used a 3D embossing folder and I had some cracking around the edges.  So trimmed the panel down to get rid of the cracked sections.  I sponged on the back of it with two shades of blue Distress inks - the raised parts of the vellum on the front remain uncoloured so really stand out.  To get more of the translucent feel of the vellum, I die cut the pierced frame die four times, glued three of them together and put the vellum panel on top of them, and then topped it with the fourth die cut - this made the vellum stand up more from the card base.  I added a tiny sentiment, stamped and die cut with a tiny tag die.

My third card uses heat embossing on the vellum.

I ran the vellum through a corner embossing folder and then rubbed lightly over the raised parts with Versamark.  I added sparkly white embossing powder, got my heat tool warmed up and then moved it quickly back and forth over the vellum.  I stamped the sentiment and used the same embossing powder on it.  I cut a frame for it with two rectangular dies out of white glitter cs.  When I first put it against a white card base, the embossing just disappeared against the white so I end up backing the vellum panel with a bit of grey/beige cs to provide some contrast with the white heat embossing.  Then when I put it against the white card base, there was too much contrast.  So I ended up going with a card base made from cs that's colour is called "chalk".

Head on over to the Group of Seven Cardmakers blog to see more examples from the other members and links to some instructional videos covering these techniques.  And feel free to try them yourselves and link up your card to Group of Seven for more inspiration for everyone.








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Nellie Snellen bird, SSS sentiment
Ink - SSS Intense Black
Paper - vellum, off white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Ultimate Crafts snowflake frame embossing folder, alcohol markers, double sided adhesive sheet

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Rubber Soul let it snow
Ink - Distress Faded Jeans and Chipped Sapphire
Paper - vellum, white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - SSS 3D snowflake embossing folder, tiny tag die, MFT pierced rectangle frame die

Supplies for card 3:
Stamps - Hero Arts sentiment
Ink - Versamark
Paper - vellum, grey/beige cs, chalk cs, SU white glitter cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Cuttlebug snowflake swirl corner embossing folder, Judikins white diamond embossing powder, Spellbinders rectangle dies

 



6 comments:

  1. Three lovely designs using vellum techniques Susan! That embossed frame is so pretty with the sweet chickadee inside it - your embossed snowflake vellum looks wonderful inked in blue from the back - and I love the 'winter butterfly' sentiment on your last card with the pretty white embossed swirls! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three beautiful cards using vellum, Susan. The first card is my fav with the pretty snowflake embossed frame and your lovely bird coloured with Alcohol ink markers. Gorgeous! Your embossed card with the blue backing is so pretty and it does really show off the vellum embossing more with a coloured card in-behind. Your final card is gorgeous with the glitter embossed design. Again, great idea to add your soft gray background for more contrast to the heat embossed design. Love the glitter frame to finish! Great work! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The elegant vellum frame is perfect for showing off this sweet bird, Susan! And your snowflakes on blue makes a gorgeous card! I'll be CASEing it! You found the perfect color to back the vellum on the third card! I love all the sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful use of the velum, I love the little bird in the centre of the velum frame. The colours are so soft. Your heat embossing over dry embossing is also amazing, well done keeping the versamark on the raised edges :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG...Two Gorgeous Vellum framed Christmas cards and one Let it Snow Holiday card, Susan:-) TFS your 3 very different and beautiful Winter cards, my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fantastic cards using vellum Susan, and I can see why you love this snowflake frame as it is very pretty and shows off the beautifully coloured robin, and I love the very delicate snowflake EF on the second such a pretty blue ink used on the back, and a great idea to raise it up away from the card by layering up the frame before sandwiching it beneath the last layer...love the little tag sentiment too. The last using an embossing folder looks really lovely heat embossed using the white sparkly embossing powder and placed beneath a wonderful white glitter card frame, and the grey background and on the slightly off white card base suits it perfectly. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.