A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 28 March 2024

Die Eclipse for Hanukkah and Sympathy

The Group of Seven Cardmakers are trying a technique called Cover Die Eclipse.  The technique is detailed in Gina K's video here.  


 Here's the technique:

  • Using your Misti, stamp two card fronts with the same large image.  I used a menorah stamp with bright blue ink.
  • Using a cover die (I used one that was not necessarily meant for a Hanukkah card but has six-pointed stars in it so it works really well for Hanukkah), cut ONE of the stamped panels. 
  • Glue the stamped cover die cut onto your second stamped panel, being sure to perfectly line up the stamped patterns.

I finished the card by bordering with silver shimmer cs and adding a sentiment tag also bordered with silver.

I don't have any other cover dies so decided to try the technique using a Tim Holtz corner die for my second card.


I stamped the branch image in black on two pieces of white cs and cut one panel with the corner die.  For this card, I wanted more dimension so cut two more plain white panels with the corner die.  I glued them together and then glued the stamped die cut panel on top of them.  Then glued it to my uncut stamped panel, lining up the image carefully.  I bordered with black and added a black die cut sentiment.

The conclusion is that some images work better with a few die cut layers while others look better with just one.  Check out what the other member of the Group of Seven cardmakers did with this technique.











Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - SU menorah and sentiment
Ink - Distress Blueprint Sketch
Paper - white and silver cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Neat and Tangled cover plate die

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Impression Obsession branch
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne
Paper - white and black cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Tim Holtz corner die, Dee's Distinctively sentiment die

7 comments:

  1. The Hanukkah card is so striking using the cover plate with stars, Susan! Just perfect and I love the corner die result in black and white, too! I was just saying over at Lolly's that I forgot I wanted to try this with my corner dies, so I will pin yours, too, as a great reminder! Happy Easter! Love, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful die cuts on both of your cards Susan - the stars are perfect on the Hanukkah card and and I like the corner stamping and die cut on your sympathy card! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. two beautiful cards, the Hanukka card really pops with the colour and dimension from the die and the sympathy card is so elegant in black and white. This was a fun technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful cards using the cover die eclipse technique, Susan. I especially love the black and white as it's a classic colour combo and your wonderful photos really show the depth of the die-cut design. Great work!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great cover plate die on the Hanukkah card with the bright blue standing out so well. The corner die gave a whole new look to this technique and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The star cover plate over the Menorah is perfect for a Hanukkah card, Susan! I LOVE how this turned out! I didn't think of the Tim Holtz corner die, but it worked perfectly too! Love all the white space on both cards that lets the die cut design really stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cards. Super cool technique. Would have never guessed the cover die on the Hanukkah card was not Hanukkah specific… brilliantly paired!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.