A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 30 October 2018

Red Star with Snowflakes

I seem to be on a roll with using some of my older supplies these days.

I spotted the Just Us Girls photo inspiration challenge:


And immediately knew that I wanted to get out the old Stampin Up Christmas Star stamp.


I stamped it in Versamark and heat embossed in red, then fussy cut it, scored its lines, and folded it to get dimension.

I also smeared a scrap of cs with Versamark and heat embossed in the same red so that I would have a matching piece to use for my die cut sentiment.

I wanted to capture the large white snowflakes in the inspiration photo so dry embossed the background with an embossing folder depicting large snowflakes.

The star is glued down on its points and popped up with double and triple layers of foam tape in the centre, giving it lots of dimension.

It's also perfect for the Less is More challenge:


I really love all the challenges out there that are inspiring my Christmas cards right now!





Supplies:
Stamps - SU Christmas Star
Ink - Versamark
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Tim Holtz joy die, Ranger red embossing powder, Cuttlebug snowflake embossing folder, foam tape



13 comments:

  1. Excellent choice, Susan! It fits the red and white challenge perfectly! I love all the dimension! And great idea to make the matching card stock for the sediment!! ❤Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous with all of that texture and dimension! I love that big red star against the snowy background and your embossed sentiment, too. Thanks for playing along with us at JUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breath-taken-away gorgeous! That star...ohmy! So thrilled you shared this beautiful work of art in the Just Us Girls gallery!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have all the things you used...wonder where that star is. Thanks for the inspiration...love red and white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Susan and you just reminded me that I have that star too...somewhere! Love the embossed background too!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bright red and white make a beautiful card Susan. LOVE that large star and how it's folded for extra dimension. So pretty with the white embossed snowflakes in the background. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful star, Susan! You have nailed this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is stunning. The large red star looks fabulous in 3D.....Wonderful white embossed background too x.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This couldn't be more perfect from your inspiration photo! That star is just gorgeous and love how you got it popped up securely. Those paper folds always made me feel like all thumbs. Love the white embossing on this. This is so festive, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in awe of that beautiful star, I really have to borrow it and try shaping it. Stunning Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's funny when you see a card in one challenge and know what other challenge it fits in. Dimension at LIM is the first thing I thought of when I saw your card, Susan, but it fits perfectly at Just Us Girls. Thanks for sharing it with us there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful, Susan! I always love white paired with red for Christmas. That red star is gorgeous and has so much dimension! If I'm being very strict your card has somewhat too little white space (completely uncluttered, un-textured space) for our CAS challenge but I do love the look of this so don't worry about it. :) Thanks for joining us at Less Is More!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card! Love the striking colours and the graphic look to it. I agree with Nonni that the embossing is a little busy for the LIM tastes but it is a fantastic card! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Less is More xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.