A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 17 October 2018

A Partridge in a Pear Tree


Reminder time for October's CAS Christmas challenge!  You only have until October 24th to join in!


I'm hosting this month and I chose "Bird" as the theme as I love Christmas cards with birds.  I went back to my cardmaking origins and used one of the first stamps I ever bought.  Way back when, I had been cutting up old commercial greeting cards I'd received and turning them into new cards and then I was at a craft fair and saw a booth selling rubber stamps and demonstrating heat embossing.  I was entranced and bought some stamps (including this one) and started using heat embossing on every card I made.

So for this card, I have heat embossed the image, but added newer more modern things like a die cut sentiment and a dry embossed background.  I love how we're always expanding our craft!  Here's a close up:


I wanted the green of the sentiment to match the image so a swiped ink over a scrap of cs and heat embossed with the same embossing powder as the image and then die cut the sentiment from that.

I was going to use a more Christmas-y embossing folder but realized that the leaves on this one almost perfectly matched the leaves in the image so went with it - it makes me think that the pear tree expands out of the image.

There's lots more inspiration for you over at CAS Christmas from the rest of the Design Team and this month's great Guest Designer, Sue (Sue's Card Craft)!





Supplies:
Stamps - Old Island Stamping Co. Partridge in a Pear Tree
Ink - ColorBox Evergreen
Paper - PTI Vintage Cream
Size - A2
Accessories - Cuttlebug embossing folder, Tattered Lace sentiment die, Stampendous Pearlustre Emerald embossing powder, fun foam



12 comments:

  1. Your leafy dry embossed background does look like an extension of the pear tree Susan. Great design. Love the green embossing on the image and sentiment. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stamp with the emerald green embossing powder looks fabulous and I agree that your embossing folder matches the image so perfectly! What a beautiful effect. You sure took me back to the early days of card making when we didn't own a single stamp. I wonder to this day if I could make a card without a die or stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My, Susan. You have me so inspired to use the same dry embossed leaves, which I have not used for ages. I love it with your beautiful heat embossed Partridge in a Pear Tree image and the beautiful sentiments. TFS my friend. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The dimension of that embossing folder is amazing, Susan! I love it as the background for this beautiful embossed bird image! such a classy card! Thanks for a wonderful and fun challenge this month. I love birds on Christmas cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that wonderful leafy folder..you have inspired me with this gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, beautiful use of the embossing folder behind your partridge stamp and love the traditional white and green. I wouldn't thought about matching the stamp and EF, I would have just thought Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful, Susan. Love the embossed background with this single green colour palette. Very elegant. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful Susan, love that you've just used one colour on the white and that embossed background sets off the stamped image fabulously.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, such a beautiful embossed background with your lovely green center. So pretty. Thanks for the great challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an elegant card. Great to use older stamps and then to do a modern layout etc. Wonderful card Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely partridge stamp Susan - so lovely in the green with the cream background - the stem embossing is perfect behind our image! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beauty, I love that you dry embossed the leaves to continue the leaves in this stamp.
    I also adore the green only colour. This adds richness and elegance to your beautiful card, hugs xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.