A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 16 October 2018

Deciduous Azaleas

Hard to believe we're at the midpoint of October already!  That means it's time for a reminder about CAS Watercolour!


Rather than an autumn themed card which would definitely suit the colours, I went with a spring flowering shrub - deciduous azalea - as I have a new die that makes me think of it.  Here's a photo of the type of deciduous azalea that inspired me:

 



My background is part of a stencil monoprint I made using various shades of brown Distress inks on mixed media paper.

I die cut the azalea circle and watercoloured it using Distress inks.  I die cut a second one and glued them together to give it more substance.  And then glued it on a circular piece of my stencil monoprint.

When I stamped "thank you" directly on the piece, it smudged, so I restamped it on a scrap of the stencil monoprint, and punched it out with an old SU label punch so that I could layer it over the smudged one.

I popped the circle up on fun foam.

Here's a close-up:

 

Please come and join us at CAS Watercolour before October 24th.  For more inspiration, check out the cards by the rest of the Design Team and our talented Guest Designer Brenda (Friends Craftin' with Friends).  And don't forget, we are turning two this month so we've got prizes to celebrate!








Supplies:
Stamps - Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - Distress Vintage Photo, Ripe Persimmon, Spiced Marmalade, Mowed Lawn (and various browns for the stencil monoprint)
Paper - mixed media and white cs, watercolour paper
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - Prima stencil, Spellbinders circle die, Ali Express die, fun foam



11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Susan!! LOVE your new die-cut flowers, so pretty and bright watercoloured! Great background and great save with your sentiment ... it fits in perfect on the matching banner. Love your design in the circle aperture. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. One very unique and wonderful card. Love the stencil monoprint in the circle and those little die cut azaleas look fabulous. Great save on the sentiment too and love how it is in the vertical. One beautiful card x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card Susan! Love how perfectly your flower die fit inside the circle die cut and the monoprint background shows off your lovely azaleas perfectly!! And great save on the smudged sentiment too!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the warm colors of your mono print and what a great job you did water coloring your die cut. I tried that and had no patience for working with coloring such a small piece of paper. This is such a great design and wonderful save with your label too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful colours Susan Your stencil monoprint is beautiful such soft colours and your die cut colouring is perfect. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These azaleas are so pretty, Susan! The die really does look like the photo! They are such a pretty color! Great save with the sentiment! It blends into the stenciled background beautifully and I love the added dimension!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful Susan...love the branch and flowers over that mottled bkg.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous colors for your deciduous azalea, Susan. We have several plants in different shades, too. They smell so good too:-) TFS your beautiful card and the reminder of Spring. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You captured the inspiration photo perfectly! What a great die. Beautiful watercolouring as usual. Another fabulous inspiration, especially with this challenging colour palette. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful card! I love your azalea flowers and I love your monoprint background! Nice save from the smudged sentiment, as it blends so nicely since you used a scrap piece of monoprint. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great focal point and such beautiful autumn colours to this card. What a special way to add the thank you sentiment into the medallion. Beautiful watercoloring dear friend. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.