A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 30 December 2021

Two Santa Cards

Vancouver had a big dump of snow last night and it's been abnormally cold (for us, though not for lots of you!) so it seemed a good day to make cards, do a blog post, etc.  Of course I'm still doing Christmas cards but the snow makes it feel like the thing to do!

First up one I did before Christmas but mailed out to a blog friend so didn't post it earlier.


One of the stamps in the SU Bokeh Dots set makes a lovely winter night sky background.  I stamped it, added a thin black border, die cut the Santa and reindeer in black, and added a vertical sentiment.

It is going off to:

AAA Cards Challenge - Christmas and Optional Twist "Slimline"



Next up is a rescue of a first attempt at colouring the Deep Red Vintage Santa stamp.  I made a real mess when I coloured the border around it and was going to toss it but decided to just die cut the inner circle and make a quick card with it.  I recycled the back of a commercial card I received last year so that I could link it up with "Z is for Zig Zag" at the ABC Christmas Challenge.

I used alcohol markers to colour the image - they are not my strong point so just used them like markers without any shading.  I do like the vibrant colours you can get with them and the way all the details and shading on a stamp will show through them.  There was a black blob below Santa's hand (actually the bowl of his pipe but by the time I realized that, I'd already added a bowl up next to his hand).  So to cover up the blob below his hand, I used a TH remnant rub over it.  It also takes care of adding a sentiment!

Come back in a couple of days and you'll see my more successful version of the Deep Red Vintage Santa!

Meanwhile I'm linking this one up with:

ABC Christmas Challenge - Y is for Yummy or Z is for Zig Zags

Christmas Cards All Year Round - Something that Starts with X, Y, or Z - so my zig zag background works here too.








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - SU Bokeh Dots background, Rosie's Road Show sentiment
Ink - Distress Faded Jeans, Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper - white and black cs
Size - 6.3.25"
Accessories - Frantic Stamper Santa and sleigh die

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Deep Red Vintage Santa
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper - white cs, recycled red zig zag commercial card
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - Spellbinders circle die cut, TH "Dear Santa" Remnant Rub-on, alcohol markers, fun foam


8 comments:

  1. Both cards look fabulous Susan and a great save on the second x. Enjoy the snow x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that bokeh dot background. It looks magical! Terrific way you saved the vintage Santa and love your rich, saturated colors! Wow, you sure are a head for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two great Santa cards, Susan! What a wonderful sky for Santa and his reindeer to fly across! Your colored Santa is fantastic! What a great save! It's been as unusually warm here as it's been cold there. Crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely pair of cards Susan! I particularly love the sky on the first card - just so beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing with us at ABC Christmas Challenges and I hope you have a happy 2022!
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that starry sky background for your first card. Love the colour and perfect with the silhouette of Santa and his sleigh! Great save with your second card. Cutting the image down worked perfectly to create a very sweet card. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can’t believe that background on “my Christmas card” 😉 was stamped! It’s gorgeous and makes Santa flying through the sky so magical! I need to check out that stamp. And great save on the second.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful creations!!! Thanks so much for participating in our CHRISTMAS CRAFTS ALL YEAR ROUND challenge!!! Can’t wait to see you participate again in our next challenge!! Have a happy crafting day!! Stay safe and healthy!!
    *Sorry for being so late commenting but please know that I have checked out your project and appreciate you entering my challenge!!!
    Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful cards! Love the colors and the pretty winter sky you made for the sleigh card. Thank you for joining us at AAA Cards. Sending love ~ Ishani

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.