A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 22 December 2021

Red Cardinal, Green Holly

The Color Hues Challenge is asking for red and green - wonderful traditional Christmas colours that I love using.


I've been trying to use some of my older stamps to justify their continued existence in my rather large collection!

I stamped on watercolour paper and used my Inktense watercolour pencils and a wet paintbrush to colour it - I'm able to get a richer red from those than from watercolour paints.

Bordered with red cs, mounted on a cream card base, and added red pearl embellishments to the berries.

The Color Hues Challenge

Christmas Kickstart Challenge 

 

 Jingle Belles - It's a Wrap - any last minute Christmas cards

52 Christmas Card Throwdown - any 2021 challenge.  I chose:

 

We Love Stamping - anything stamped with the option of CAS

 







Supplies:
Stamps - SU Christmas Cardinal
Ink - Archival Jet Black
Paper - watercolour paper, red and cream cs
Size - 5.25" square
Accessories - Inktense watercolour pencils, red pearls

13 comments:

  1. great reminder to pull out all those old stamps just to find out if they are still your style and will you use them.
    Love this one, it's a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love image and card, returning to old stamps is so nice as we often see them in a totally different light, thanks so much for sharing and joining in with our December theme at We Love Stamping challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful cardinal and thank you for the tip about the pencils and great to use older stash Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a stunning, rich red on the cardinal, Susan. No stamp should feel neglected at Christmas, good for you. Merry Christmas, my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another awesome cardinal card, Susan! Love the different and beautiful shades of red! The dark red border is the perfect choice to pull everything together.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful cardinal, Susan! A perfect Christmas bird! I got your beautiful poinsettia card yesterday. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this cardinal, Susan. The red is just the right brightness with the watercolour pencils. Beautiful card! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cardinal is beautiful! I agree, colored pencils give a much more brilliant red than watercolors. Thanks for joining us at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous colouring and beautiful card.
    Thanks so much for joining us at We Love Stamping December challenge!
    Happy New Year;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty card, Susan! Love the deep border as it makes the cardinal really pop! Thanks for taking the time to play along with us at Color Hues! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, this is beautiful! I love the rich red you achieved with your Derwent pencils. We love having you join us at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do wish we had Cardinals here in the UK. This is beautiful. Thanks for playing again at Christmas Kickstart, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful colouring and I love the bird! Thanks for sharing at 52CCT:) Happy New Year to you Susan!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.