A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 13 December 2021

Ruby Trill Cardinal

Here in Vancouver we don't get any really colourful birds like the cardinal I remember from my childhood in Ontario.  So I love to put them on my Christmas cards - and of course, they are the perfect Christmas birds!

I used a new stamp that I hadn't even inked up yet.

I stamped and watercoloured the image, doing a paler colour of the leaves for a partial background. In the part of the background that wasn't coloured, I added the sentiment. I diluted white acrylic paint and then added some splatters for snow. 

For the following challenges:

 52 Christmas Card Throwdown - Pick a Previous 2021 Challenge - I picked "Birds"

  

Color Hues - Red and Green


Christmas Kickstart









Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black "Ruby Trill", PTI sentiment
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne
Paper - watercolour paper, black and cream cs
Size - 5.75" square
Accessories - watercolour paints, white acrylic paint

14 comments:

  1. The most perfect Christmas bird and the most perfect and beautiful Christmas card Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cardinals are so pretty and add such a wonderful splash color when you see them. Your watercolor is lovely and perfect for a red and green card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colouring of your cardinal and holly branch, Susan! I wish the cardinals lived here too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bright red cardinal just jumps off the screen in our gallery! He's just so gorgeous, and I love the holly he's found for a perch! Beautiful card! Thanks for joining us at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your coloring is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty Christmas card, Susan! I love cardinals and they are extra pretty perching on holly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful regal cardinal. Love the card and watercolouring ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your colouring is fabulous and what a gorgeous bird! Thanks so much for joining us at 52CCT & Merry Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card. Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful watercoloring of the cardinal and the holly branch, Susan! Your cardinal looks so handsome! I love the way you watercolored the background (lighter toward the top right corner) too.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous, Susan. So beautifully coloured and such a pretty bird. Sorry I'm a bit late commenting and thanks for playing at Christmas Kickstart Challenge again, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful Christmas card! Your bright red cardinal just jumps off the screen! Thank you so much for playing along with 52CCT. Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card :-)
    Thank you for joining the Christmas Card Throwdown.
    Hope to see you again in our new challenge as well :-)
    Majda DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card! Thanks for playing at 52CCT.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.