A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 16 September 2019

Smooshed Complementary Colours

We're halfway through September so I'm here today to remind you that you only have until the 24th to enter this month's CAS Watercolour Challenge.






My card for the opening of the challenge used the most common of the complementary colours (red and green) so this time I decided to go with a less common combination.  I went with the blue/green turquoise type of blue and the red/orange that is opposite it. 






I used three shades of Distress Oxide inks for the background, pressing them one at a time onto my craft mat, spritzing with water, pressing mixed media cs into it, and drying with my heat tool before moving on to the next shade of blue.

For the wildflowers, I pressed two orange shades onto my craft mat at the same time, ran my finger through it to partially mix the two shades, then spritzing with water and pressing watercolour paper into it.  When it was dry, I die cut the wildflowers.

I framed the background with a stitched die cut, glued the flowers onto the background, die cut the sentiment from a leftover bit of the background, and popped the front panel up on fun foam.

There's lots more inspiration from the rest of the CAS Watercolour Design Team and this month's wonderful Guest Designer, Anita (Stampin with Anita).   We're looking forward to seeing what colours you choose.









Supplies:
Ink - Distress Oxide Broken China, Tumbled Glass, Peacock Feathers, Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey
Paper - white cs, mixed media cs, watercolour paper
Size - A2
Accessories - Tim Holtz wildflowers dies, Tattered Lace sentiment dies, Lil Inker stitched rectangle die, fun foam



7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have some colorful fingers, my friend! I'm glad I'm not the only one that uses my fingers to mix things up, LOL! Your wildflowers are perfectly colored and a wonderful contrast with the blues in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You achieved a beautiful luminous background with you D.O.s and it is a gorgeous backdrop for the pretty orange wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such bright and vibrant colors Susan...they look fabulous framed with the white! Lovely, lovely card! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the depth of colour you achieved Susan...gorgeous card mf.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this colour combo, Susan. Your three shades of blue really add so much depth to the background. Gorgeous bright flowers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a striking effect with the fabulous complementary colour combination. A really beautiful card Susan and love how you did the background too x.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous layers of blue/green turquoise in the background, Susan! The red/orange wildflower silhouette beautifully pops. Great effect of using complementary colors. The matching die-cut sentiment is a wonderful touch!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.