A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 19 November 2016

Relaxing and Winter Knitting

I've got three cards today on the theme of relaxing.  I did them for SCS challenges - the Free for All challenge "Relax" and one of the suggested themes for the Christmas Card Challenges "anything that speaks of relaxation such as a cozy fire, a cabin in the woods, a relaxing activity, etc."

I did two variations using the Penny Black winter cottage stamp - it looks like an ideal place to relax in the winter.



Both are stamped and watercoloured, and framed with a pierced frame die.  The first one is  added to a stitched layer. It's popped up on fun foam on the card base.  The second one is flat on the card with a sweet little vertical sentiment.  Lastly I took a Quickie glue pen and went over all the snow areas and added very fine glitter.

One of my favourite ways to relax in the winter is knitting. I find the repetitive motion very soothing.  So my third card is on the theme of knitting.


For this card, I used the Tim Holtz stencil with white embossing paste on a piece of blue cs to create the background. I stamped my image and coloured with coloured pencils to match the colours of the background, then die cut with a stitched circle. The background panel is popped up on fun foam for some dimension.

It's not truly a Christmas card but it represents my ideal Christmas sweater so it's going to be my Christmas card for a friend who knits.

Thanks for stopping by today.  If you have a second, please let me know which layout you prefer for the winter cottage card.





Supplies:
Stamps -  Penny Black Christmas Cottage, Rubber Soul sentiment (first card) and Rosie's Roadshow sentiment (second card), Lockhart Stamp Co. knitting stamp
Ink - Ranger Archival Jet Black
Paper - white, brown, and blue cs, watercolour paper
Size - A2
Accessories - MFT pierced frame dies, Peerless watercolour paints, Quickie glue pen, glitter, fun foam, Tim Holtz stencil, Dreamweaver white embossing paste, Lil Inker stitched circle, coloured pencils



4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Winter relaxing cards Susan. We have a nice fire in our wood stove and I also love to knit in the Winter :-) Your Winter scene on both your cards is so beautiful and your knitting card makes me want to knit! Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very peaceful and serene snowy winter scene Susan. I would love to be at that cabin! :) Love the pierced frames and the added glitter for sparkle. Your friend that knits is going to LOVE this special card you made for her. Great job! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to bring my knitting to your cozy cottage! Three fantastic cards, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute knitting card. The cottage cards are great too and I'm voting for the top one as i adore the design with the stitched die.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.