A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 23 November 2016

Inspired by Salvador Dali

This week's SCS CAS Challenge is "Hello Dali!" - to be inspired by a work by Salvador Dali.  When I first saw the challenge, I was going to pass over it as I only have time to make Christmas cards right now, but out of curiousity, I googled Salvadore Dali and Christmas and learned that he had designed some avant-garde Christmas cards.   Who knew?

I was inspired by the upper half this image that I found on this website:


So inspired in fact that I made two cards.  Here's the first one:


I sponged a background with various Distress inks trying to get the colours close to the Dali, but not quite as dark. I flicked a bit of water on it to get some texture.

I stamped the trees and sentiment in the darkest green ink I have (I didn't want them to be black). I added a bit of white on the upper edges of some of the branches with my white gel pen, but I think I need a new one as I wasn't getting much white. Then I sprinkled chunky white embossing enamel over the upper two thirds and heated from underneath.  I popped the panel up on fun foam.

Here's the second card:


For this card, I sponged a background with various Distress inks, stamped my sentiment in black (I didn't get a perfect impression but decided it suited the background), and stamped a few small snowflakes and heat embossed them.

I die cut the Tim Holtz pine tree once out of a flecked dark green cs and twice out of white cs. I glued the two white ones together and then glued the green one on top, slightly offset to let the white show as if it were snow on the branches.

These were really fun to make and a bit of a stretch for my imagination and creativity which is always a good thing to do!





Supplies for the first card:
Stamps - Tim Holtz trees, Impression Obsession sentiment
Ink - Memento Northern Pine, various Distress inks
Paper - white and mixed media cs
Size - A2
Accessories - gold stick-on stars, Frantage chunky white embossing enamel, white gel pen, fun foam

Supplies for the second card:
Stamps - Northwoods sentiment, small snowflake stamps
Ink - Ranger Jet Black, ColorBox white, various Distress inks
Paper - Gina K white cs, dark green flecked cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Tim Holtz pine tree die, white embossing powder




4 comments:

  1. Very interesting where you got your inspiration from. I know some that posts his images often. Nice cards! I like those tall trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I love both your artsy Salvador Dali inspired Christms cards. Your backgrounds, trees and sentiments turned out beautifully. Love how you added water drops and snow for texture and your off set white layer on your 2nd tree for a snowy effect. TFS my friend. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Who knew SD made Christmas cards? You have CASED his card very well! Twice! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful inspiration photo and you've done an amazing job with coming up with two designs. I love the special touches of adding snow to the trees, both very creative. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.