A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 22 November 2016

Inspired by Challenges

I'm in the home stretch of making Christmas cards for my fundraiser sale this coming Sunday.  I find it helpful to make cards for challenges - quite often, a challenge will spark an idea.  So here are a few I made in the last few days for SCS challenges.

First up, for the Featured Stamper challenge, I CASEd this card by MommaPatti and created this card in her honour:


A green shimmer cs card base and die cut holly, a white embossed background, some red gems and ribbon, and a sentiment - a truly traditional Christmas card!

The Technique Lovers' Challenge "Block that Kiss" was a new technique for me.  You have to ink up an acrylic block with a lighter colour and then "kiss" it with a stamp inked up in a darker colour.  Then lay your cs on top and gently press all over to transfer image and background.  Here's what I made:


Since I had the Falling Snow embossing folder already out, I used it for the background for this card too. I bordered the snowflake panel with silver cs, popped it up on fun foam, and embellished the snowflakes with tiny peel and stick silver dots.

And for the SCS Color Challenge (white, gold, and cherry cobbler), I made this card:


I don't do very many Color Challenges but this one was so perfect for Christmas, and the challenge said to use an ornament for dessert - this immediately sparked an idea for a card.

I think ColorBox Chianti ink is quite close to SU Cherry Cobbler so I used that for the sentiment, along with a dark red shimmery cs for the border.

Both image and sentiment are heat embossed.

So there you have three cards for three recent challenges.  Come back tomorrow and see what I came up with for the SCS CAS challenge to base a card on a Salvador Dali painting! Now that was a real challenge!!






Supplies for the Holly card:
Stamps - Rubber Soul sentiment
Ink - ColorBox Frost White
Paper - green shimmer cs, white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Sizzix embossing folder, Tim Holtz holly die, Nesties label die, red gemstones, red ribbon, white embossing powder

Supplies for the Snowflakes card:
Stamps - Anita's snowflakes, Old Island Stamp Co. sentiment
Ink - Distress Faded Jeans, Memento Summer Sky
Paper - silver shimmer and white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Sizzix embossing folder, silver sticker embellishments, fun foam 

Supplies for the Ornament card:
Stamps - Penny Black ornament stamp, Wordsworth sentiment
Ink - ColorBox Gold and Chianti
Paper - white cs, dark red shimmer cs
Size - A2
Accessories - clear embossing powder, gold embossing powder

3 comments:

  1. Three very pretty Christmas cards Susan. Always great when challenges can spark your imagination. Good luck with the sale ... I know it will to a success! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. TFS all 3 of your beautiful Christmas cards, Susan. Have fun at your sale for a very good cause. Hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three beautiful Christmas cards, Susan! Love that gold ornament with the Cherry mat! And the technique on the second card is intriguing. I need to try that! Love the results with your card! Love the holly bough on the embossed background! Simple and classy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.