A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 18 September 2020

Dreaming of Travel

The Male Room wants us to make a card depicting where we'd like to travel if we could travel right now.  France, especially Paris, is one of my favourite places.


 

Here's my card:



I stamped the map background at a friend's house - don't remember the company so if anyone knows, let me know in the comments and I'll add it to my supplies list.

The focal image was created with various alcohol inks on Yupo. I then lifted the flourish image with Alcohol Ink Lift-off. The Eiffel Tower was stamped with Staz-on.

After assembling the card, I used a Tim Holtz rub-on arrow to point from the Eiffel Tower to Paris on the map.

How long do you think it will be before we feel comfortable getting on a plane and travelling somewhere?







Supplies:
Stamps - unknown map background, Tim Holtz Eiffel Tower and flourish
Ink - Staz-on black, Memento Tuxedo Black, various alcohol inks, Alcohol Ink Lift-off
Paper - cream and black cs, Yupo
Size - A2
Accessories - Tim Holtz rub-on arrow

11 comments:

  1. Oh my...Love your artsy stamped map background and alcohol ink background layer with the stamped Eiffel Tower. How clever of you to add the sticker arrow pointing to Paris:-) I don't think I will be comfortable flying until everyone possible is vaccinated. Could be at least a year+....In the meantime...we can continue to be safe and give out plenty of virtual Love and Hugs:-) Think of you often, my dear friend....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful card, Susan! Love the entire idea of this- one I’d never have come up with. That map background is fabulous and your idea of using the Eiffel tower is so perfect for this challenge. we have traveled to Texas recently and I didn’t feel threatened at all. Maybe it’s because it’s not that bad here. Not too sure about overseas though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your gorgeous damask panel with the eiffel tower Susan. It's gorgeous. And so clever to add the map in the background. I think it's going to be a long time before most people will feel safe on a plane. Hopefully there will be a vaccine sometime next year that help to keep us safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant card ....was it made for me? I spent a lovely hour going through one of my larger books of photos of Paris last night. Can't wait to get back there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fabulous card for a guy or a gal, Susan! I love that alcohol background with the lifted flourishes! What a great idea to place the arrow pointing to Paris! I don't think I'll be ready to travel in any way until this pandemic is under control. I'm trying not to think about how long that could take and live each day as it comes. I'm thankful for easy ways to communicate with loved ones and craft with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is fantastic, Susan. I love the map and arrow to show Paris. Very creative. I was just thinking last night about Lift Ink. I have two pads and haven't made a card with them. Zoom, maybe. I hardly feel safe going out in the car so I'm not thinking far enough ahead to flight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fantastic travel card, Susan! The AI lifted panel looks beautiful against the monochromatic map background, and adding the arrow is a great idea! I've never been to Paris, but I'd love to visit there someday. The map stamp is probably "World Map" of Stampin' Up!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful design and I love how the alcohol ink, lift technique topper turned out. A fabulous masculine card Susan x. Nope won't be flying until they get a vaccine.....x

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great travel card Susan - love that map and the Eiffel tower image on the green - great use of the arrow rub on - a lovely designed card! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great travel card Susan, Simple but very striking.Thank you for joining us at the Male Room Challenge, Clarissa DT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great combination of design papers and images. The arrow is perfect touch. Thank you for joining The Male Room "Travel"-challenge, I hope to see you again in our next challenge (starting Oct. 7th)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.