A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 21 September 2020

Die Cuts Only Birthday Card

Seize the Birthday is challenging us to make a birthday card using die cuts only (though we are allowed a stamped sentiment).

I went with an "out of my comfort zone" colour scheme, using a piece of a sprayed background out of my UFO box and some scraps of pink pieces.

If I recall, the background was made with various shades of green and blue sprays on mixed media cs.  While the sprays were still wet, I sprinkled on a bit of Magicals. Then I dug out some leftover pieces of pink background scraps (two were pink and mauve Distress ink smooshed on mixed media cs, and the other was pink Brushos sprinkled and spritzed on mixed media cs) and die cut the hollyhocks from them. Added them to my background, and then stamped the sentiment on a scrap of vellum and wrapped it around the panel, and popped it all up on fun foam on the card base.

Since it uses lots of scraps, I'm taking it over to Pixie's Snippets Playground.  I always love using up the pieces from my UFO box!








Supplies:
Stamps - unknown birthday sentiment
Ink - Archival Acorn, various Distress mauve and pink inks
Paper - pieces from my UFO box that used white cs, mixed media cs, vellum
Size - A2
Accessories - Impression Obsession hollyhock die, green and blue Magicals and sprays, pink Brushos, fun foam

10 comments:

  1. Great to use up pieces from your UFO box Susan and what fabulous pieces they are. The colours are amazing and what a happy and artsy card x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty card Susan. Always great to use some of those UFO items. :) This is so pretty! I love seeing you back creating, my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful contrast between the pretty colors in the sprayed background and the sweet hollyhocks! I'm glad you're feeling more like being creative these days. I've missed your inspiration, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always fun to use up more scraps from our stash:-) Love your artsy birthday card with the beautiful mixed media background and your beautiful die cut hollyhock flowers. TFS my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun, colorful card. Pretty background and those hollyhocks are awesome. We used to grow them in our yard when I was young and we made dolls from them using the blooms and toothpicks. I remember that so well and this card triggered those memories. Glad to see you feel like making cards. That's great news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pink die cut stems look lovely against that green background Susan - how nice to have all these bits to create with so it doesn't tire you out too much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful findings from your UFO box, Susan! Love the soft and pretty color comb! I can imaging the beautiful shimmer of the Magicals sprinkled on the background, and the ombre-look of the hollyhocks is so lovely!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty this is Susan! I absolutely love the background with the beautiful hollyhocks.

    Sorry I'm late commenting!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan, This is just lovely - the colours are gorgeous - see you at the snippets playground again soon - Cheers Maurs xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.