A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 19 June 2019

Little Cardinals

Combining two challenges with today's card:  the CAS Mix Up "Ombre" challenge and the ABC Christmas "L is for Little" challenge.   I have a blue ombre background and some very little cardinals on my card.


I masked off a rectangle on my watercolour paper and used various blue watercolour paints to make an ombre background.

I am in the midst of reorganizing my craft room and couldn't find my brown cs for die cutting the branches so watercoloured a scrap of w/c paper in brown (and also in red) and die cut the branches and birds. I die cut the birds twice and glued them together to raise them up off the branches more.

I trimmed the panel and popped it up on fun foam on a kraft card base.


The requirements of CAS Mix Up are:


My sentiment is stamped, I have the ombre background, and for my choice, I have die cutting and watercolouring.







Supplies:
Stamps - Rubber Soul sentiment
Ink - Recollections Chestnut
Paper - watercolour paper, kraft cs
Size - A2
Accessories - watercolour paints, Memory Box branch and tiny cardinals dies, clear embossing powder, fun foam



13 comments:

  1. Beautiful background for your lovely little cardinals! I have just finished revamping my craft room and can find everything now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colour combination is wonderful and love the water coloured ombre effect and the pop of red from the red cardinals x. Great design Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to watercolor your scrap for branches. That worked great and loved that you stacked the birds for dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic ombre background Susan! Sweet Christmas card! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! Gorgeous background for the cardinals on their branches. Thanks for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I love your ombre background great gradation in colour and the pop of red with the birds is the perfect combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what I wouldn't give to see even one cardinal, let along a whole tree of them! I love your ombre background design, Susan! Great idea to simply watercolor your branches when you couldn't find your brown cs. I hope you are having wonderful weather for your sister and BIL's visit!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful ombre watercolored background, Susan! The pretty red cardinals pop against the blue ombre sky. I think the watercolord branches look better than die-cuts from brown cs because they have nice shades. I'm so glad to see your card in the CAS Mix Up gallery! Thanks!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful BLUE ombré background. Those little red birds just pop against it. Sweet card. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those red cardinals show up beautifully against the ombre blue sky! Great idea to watercolor the cardstock to die cut!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great ombré BG, I can feel the wind blowing... The branches look great with the watercoloring with some more ombré nuances. The red cardinal "choir" truly works for this sweet Christmas card. Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful ombre background! And it looks like a windy day. Thanks for playing along with us at ABC Christmas Challenge. Looking forward to seeing your creative projects in the future galleries again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card!
    Thanks so much for playing at the ABC Christmas Challenge!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.