A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 27 August 2018

Two Masculine Christmas Cards

We had a chilly drizzly weekend so I got a couple of cards done for challenges that are closing soon.  And by coincidence, both cards turned out to be work well as masculine cards - something I always struggle with.

First up is Less is More's Sketch Challenge.

The sketch immediately made me think of my long-neglected set of Christmas inchie stamps so I got them out and made this card:


I kept it very CAS - just one colour of ink (Distress Vintage Photo) to stamp them on cream cs.  I hand-trimmed them and mounted them on a second set of squares for just a bit of dimension.  The sentiment is stamped in the same ink.  To add a bit more dimension, I layered the panel on fun foam.

Here's a close-up so that you can see the lovely detail in the tiny stamps:


The second card is for the Sparkles Christmas Challenge - use kraft cs.

In my on-going struggle to use up some of my stash of dp, I found a perfect piece of dp to go with kraft cs.  I cut a panel out of it and then cut an oval out of the centre, creating a frame for my holly die cut.

The die cut was cut from a piece of mixed media cs that I'd sprinkled and spritzed with olive green brushos.  Once die cut, I realized it was too pale and sponged over it with Distress Forest Moss ink.  I cut two more and glued them together to give it substance and dimension.  I put some tiny bits of foam tape under some of the holly leaves to give it varied dimension, and set it inside the frame (that I'd popped up on foam tape).

I added red pearls to the holly berries with a Viva Decor pearl pen.  Here's a close-up showing the holly die cut's dimension and berries, and how well they co-ordinate with the dp:



I think this one works as a masculine card, but I also like its vintage look.





Supplies for first card:
Stamps - Darkroom Door Christmas Inchies, A Muse sentiment
Ink - Distress Vintage Photo
Paper - PTI Vintage Cream
Size - A2
Accessories -  foam tape
 
Supplies for second card:
Ink - Distress Forest Moss
Paper - kraft cs, My Minds Eye dp
Size - A2
Accessories - Creative Expressions Holly Spray die, olive green Brushos, Spellbinders rectangle and oval dies, foam tape





12 comments:

  1. Two beautiful Christmas cards, Susan. I love the 1st inchie CAS design and your second gorgeous holly DSP card with the Die cut holly. TFS my friend. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dimension on both of your fabulous cards. The inchie card looks great stamped in the sepia and on the cream card stock. Great detail on the stamp too. Gorgeous second card and love the paper and the beautiful die cut holly together X

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on a roll, my friend! Love these inchies and how you've stamped them in copper color! Very classy! And the holly with the dimensional berries is beautiful on it's own, but perfect framed in the holly paper! Good for you using some patterned paper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two amazing card designs, Susan, impeccably made! I have a thing for holly, so that one really made me swoon!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two gorgeous Christmas cards Susan! Love the vintage look of your first card with the sepia stamped images. Your holly card is so pretty. Perfect patterned paper for the card front and gorgeous holly sprig for the inside of the oval. Adding layers of holly gives it a big presence. The red berries are the perfect finishing touch! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both your cards, Susan. The first card is so perfect for the sketch challenge and I never think to do things like that with small stamps. Love the holly card. I commend you for being willing to use itty bitty bits of foam to pop that up! I'm in awe of people who do that and it adds so much to your card. Love the kraft paper with the dp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both are gorgeous Susan, but I must admit the sepia inchies is my favorite. Your holly with matching DP is a great way to use up designer paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two wonderful Christmas cards, Susan. That is a beautiful piece of pattern paper on the second card. Those inches on your first are perfect for the sketch. And you used non-traditional colours! It’s quite elegant. Thank you for joining us at Less is More. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. super cards Susan and just perfect for a guy...love the traditional look with non traditional colours.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great use of the square inchie stamps for the challenge, Susan! The Vintage Sepia is a wonderful color choice!
    And you coordinated the design paper and the holly die cut so well for the second card! Love the dimension of the holly and the shiny red berries! Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A gorgeous holly card and love it inside your frame. Thank you for joining in at Sparkles christmas challenge. Lynne DT x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely cards. Your second one with the holly is stunning! I love the accents on the berries. Thanks for playing at Sparkles Christmas challenges.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.