A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 16 August 2018

Sunflowers with Horses

It's reminder time for CAS Watercolour!  This month the challenge is "sunflowers" - perfect for August when sunflowers are starting to bloom.   Check out the inspiration from the rest of the Design Team and our wonderful August Guest Designer, Izzy of Izzy Scrap.  The link up is open until August 24th.


I decided to stick with stamps for this challenge as otherwise I'd be using the same stencil some of the other DT members used.  And I only have two stamps with sunflowers, the one I used for my original card and this one:


I stamped it in brown ink on watercolour paper and then decided to colour in only the sunflowers and butterfly, thinking that would keep quite a busy image more CAS.  I used my Gansai Tambi paints and used this photo of a red sunflower as inspiration for my colours just to make a change from yellow sunflowers. 


I originally did the butterfly in mauve and it didn't show up enough so I restamped just the butterfly section on a scrap and painted it turquoise, then fussy cut it and popped it up with foam tape.  I trimmed the image down to its borders, popped it up on fun foam, and added a simple brown sentiment.

I'm also taking it to the AAA Cards "Friendship" challenge.  I truly believe friendship exists among animals.  I've seen it often amongst the dogs and horses in my life.  These two horses at the barn where I volunteer with therapeutic riding spent their off-time standing by each other, nuzzling and grooming each other, and when one went out for a lesson, the other fussed and whinnied till he came back.  The one on the left, Quincey, was one of our therapy horses and much older than his friend, Trio.  When Quincey passed away a couple of years ago, Trio was visibly bereft for awhile. 


And these two, Teddy and Sprite, are the mainstay of our therapeutic program.  Both are elderly (in their 20s) and as calm as can be with our riders, but they are such good friends and when they are turned out together, they act like two friendly youngsters, romping together, chasing each other, and enjoying their companionship so much.  They only do this with each other - if you turn either of them out with a different horse, they never play with that different horse.


Teddy is also friends with our little Shetland pony, Becca - their paddocks are side by side and they spend a lot of time interacting and grooming each other across the fence.


So, just like people, animals choose certain other animals to be their special friends - we can learn so much from observing the animal world.





Supplies:
Stamps - Impression Obsession horses, A Muse sentiment
Ink - Ranger Archival Potting Soil
Paper - watercolour paper, cream cs
Size - 4.25 x 6"
Accessories - Gansai Tambi watercolour paints, fun foam, foam tape



14 comments:

  1. Susan, I so enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for sharing the photos and the 'stories' behind them. Yes friendship in animals is so special x. Your CAS card is wonderful and love how you only coloured the sunflowers and the butterfly (great save). Fabulous image and thank you for the great inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for introducing your horse friends, Susan! It's interesting how they bond with their friends. Love your horse stamp with the pretty sunflowers and how you've just colored the sunflowers! Love the darker color for the flowers and the turquoise butterfly is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only did I enjoy your card with this unusual combination of stamps but I loved seeing the photos! I'd have never thought to use that stamp with sunflowers and love the result, particularly the splash of color on the sunflowers. You do have some incredible stamps, Susan and I enjoy seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so interesting how two close horse friends will romp and play even though they are mature horses. They must be so happy just to be together. Very cool, Susan! I learned a lot from your post. The card is so perfect, especially with your blog post ... it looks like the two horses on your card are very dear friends. LOVE the deep colours of your sunflower. The turquoise butterfly really pops off those red and deep orange sunflowers. So pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your horses and sunflowers image is so beautiful, Susan. I love how you colored your sunflowers in red. Thank you so much for sharing your horse photos and their stories. Such sweet and loving friendships between their best friends:-) Your stories made me smile and think of the friendships our animals have had over the years. TFS, my friend. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rich bright red colour is so unique and cool. Love them combined with the sweet horses. Wonderful friendship inspirations for your card. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an absolutely BEAUTIFUL card Susan! LOVE how you only colored the sunflowers and butterfly...really makes them pop and I love the red coloring too! And your horse photos are absolutely beautiful too...loved reading your post how they create friendships just like humans! Wonderful card and post Susan!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing pictures of the horses, I really should come by and see :)
    Love your horsey birthday card, the touch of colour is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww I love the story about the horses and great pics! The stamp you've used is so unique and I love that you've just coloured the blooms - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely idea to use horse friends, beautiful animals. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your card is so pretty and even more so after reading about the friendships between the horses in your life! Thanks for playing at AAA Cards challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely and sweet. Thanks for sharing with us at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful card, Susan ! And it is even more beautiful when we read your whole post. I love the gorgeous vivid and bright colours you chose to watercolour the sunflowers as on your picture. Beautiful pictures too of these pairs of friends! I do believe that friendship exists among animals. I can see it everyday with my two cats ! It has been a pleasure and an honour to be guest designing with you all this month. Thanks for inviting me ! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed reading your post about friendship among the horses at the barn and looking at the heart-warming pictures.
    Your card is fantastic! I love that you watercolored only the sunflowers and you colored them with reddish orange. The color choice (Turquoise) of the butterfly is perfect. It really pops against the deep orange.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.