A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 17 July 2018

Poinsettia and Mesh

Time for a reminder to join in with the CAS Christmas challenge with a card featuring poinsettias.


Our sister challenge CAS Mix Up recently had a "layered embossing" challenge so I got several pieces made when making something for it, including the poinsettia on this card:


The poinsettia was made using the Encrusted Jewel Technique.  On a warm grill topped with a piece of non-stick craft mat and a piece of parchment paper, I placed a die cut poinsettia (cut out of thick cs).  I sprinkled with red and garnet embossing powders, letting them melt.  I added glitter all over it and gold microbeads to the centre.  Then melted clear UTEE on top to hold everything in place.


When crafting with friends, I'd randomly brushed some gold grounds that one of them had on a piece of cs to see what it was like, so trimmed that down for a background.  Added a heat embossed sentiment and a piece of red and gold mesh, and popped the panel up on fun foam.

Here's a close-up of the poinsettia and mesh:



I'm also adding it to the July CAS Mix Up challenge - Colour your Die Cuts - as I coloured my die cut with embossing powder.  My mixed media are die cutting, embossing powder, mesh, glitter, and microbeads.


Please come and join us at CAS Christmas.  You have until July 24th to link up a CAS card featuring poinsettias.  There's lots of inspiration from the Design Team and July Guest Designer, Marina (My Perfect Life).




Supplies:
Stamps - Old Island Stamp Co. sentiment
Ink - ColorBox Chianti
Paper - white cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - TH Tattered Poinsettia die, Stampendous Ruby Red and Pearl Claret embossing powders, UTEE, glitter, gold microbeads, red and gold mesh, Daniel Smith Gold Grounds, clear embossing powder, fun foam



11 comments:

  1. I love this, Susan! Wow is that beautiful! The mesh adds wonderful texture to the overall design. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing technique and effect on that wonderful poinsettia. So unique and your card is absolutely stunning x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...so much red and gold texture and mixed media beauty on your gorgeous poinsettia Christmas Card, Susan. I love every single detail and really appreciate your description. Your Encrusted Jewel Poinsettia is a work of art, my friend. TFS Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, if you see this much shine and shimmer in the picture, the card must look so much more SHINY and SHIMMERY in real life!
    Gorgeous encrusted jewel poinsettia, especially against the beautiful gold watercolored background! And I love that you put a piece of mesh behind the flower. It adds so much unique interest to the card. Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That poinsettia should be put on a string and used as a Christmas ornament, it's absolutely stunning. I love your mesh background on the gold grounds. Glad you had an opportunity to add it to your beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful design Susan. That mesh under this poinsettia jewel is just the perfect addition against the gold background. A very elegant card my friend.
    Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This poinsettia looks like a piece of jewelry, Susan! And that gold background with the mesh is a perfect way to show it off! Such an elegant card, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That poinsettia is amazing, Susan. Love all the shimmer and texture from the embossing powders, glitter and microbeads. Perfect to go with the red and gold mesh. And the background is awesome with just a light gold to tie everything together. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous encrusted poinsettia! Love the sparkle and gold background mesh. xx.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous, Susan! Love that embossed poinsettia, it's so shiny and smooth it could be candy! And I love the gold background with the added texture of the mesh. Stunning. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just love the look of the encrusted jewels on your poinsettia, Susan! So beautiful on the mesh!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.