A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, 28 August 2026

A Butterfly and a Quartet of Ornaments

The Penny Black Saturday Challenge wants "Things with Wings" so I got out one of my favourite Penny Black butterfly stamps.  It's also going to the Triple B challenge - I chose butterflies out of birds, butterflies, and / or blooms.

I made a background by inking up a tiny squares stencil with various Distress inks, spritzing it with water, and pressing it onto mixed media cs. When dry, I stamped some bits of text and postmarks on it in grey ink.

I stamped and heat embossed the butterfly. Then watercoloured it and fussy cut it. I glued its body to the background and popped its wings up with dimensionals. Then stamped and heat embossed the sentiment.

My second card is for the ABC Christmas Challenge "Q is for Quartet" (four of something).  I have four ornaments in my image.  Christmas Cards All Year Round wants anything starting with "Q" so my quartet of ornaments works for them as well.   I'm also adding it to the Rudolph Days Challenge.

The ornaments are stamped in black (though it came out kind of light as the ink pad is old) and then coloured with two green and one red Tombow markers. I coloured the tops of the ornaments with a silver gelli pen. A small vertical sentiment fit well in the space. I used a green/grey cs to border it as black looked too harsh with the pale stamping.

 Please share our badge!  

 

 







Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Penny Black butterfly, unknown sentiment, various script and postmark stamps
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black and Morning Mist, various blue and mauve Distess inks
Paper - watercolour paper, mixed media cs, off white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - clear embossing powder, watercolour paints, stencil with little squares, dimensionals

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Great Impressions ornaments, Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper - white and green/grey cs
Size - 6x3.25"
Accessories - Tombow markers, silver gelli pen

3 comments:

  1. Oh Susan that butterfly is GORGEOUS! Both cards are just awesome! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Triple B challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Triple B Challenge Co-Owner

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous butterfly Susan, and the stencil inking tehnique has worked beautifully, and love the bits of script and postmarks in the background, and your lovely quartet of prettily coloured baubles going down the card look great on the DL shape with the coordinating vertical sentiment. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that gorgeous butterfly, especially on your stencil monoprint background. It's so beautiful, Susan. And adorable Christmas cards with your sweet ornaments. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.