A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 2 November 2019

Monochrome Poinsettia

Karen (Snippets) is hosting this month's CAS Watercolour Challenge and she has chosen "Monochromatic" as the challenge - something Karen is very good at, but something I don't do very often.

I need more Christmas cards so went with red as my colour:


I stamped the poinsettia in Versafine Onyx Black and heat embossed with silver pearl embossing powder - it is slightly translucent so the black comes through but it's not as dark as a regular black embossed image.

I watercoloured the poinsettia using the wet on wet technique where I wet a couple of petals at a time and then dropped the paint into them, letting it run as it wanted to.

When dry, I did a bit of watercolour stenciling using a flat brush and the same paint as the poinsettia over random sections of the stencil.  And when that was dry, I stamped the sentiment, trimmed the panel, bordered with red, popped it up on fun foam on a cream card base, and added red gemstones to the centre of the poinsettia.

Now I'm feeling keen to create more monochromatic cards!  Thanks for the great challenge, Karen!

Head on over to CAS Watercolour to see what else the Design Team made and also the gorgeous card by our Guest Designer, Birgit (Rapport fran ett skrivbord).  Remember to follow the challenge and keep your card clean and simple.

This will be our last challenge of the year.  The Designers are taking the month of December off to relax and rejuvenate before all the amazing challenges coming up in 2020.





Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black, Memento Lady Bug
Paper - watercolour paper, red and cream cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - Gansai Tambi watercolour paints, silver pearl embossing powder, TCW Tile Texture stencil, red gemstones, fun foam



10 comments:

  1. What a great idea to stamp with black and emboss with silver, Susan! I love the look and the pretty shades of red in the poinsettia and stenciling! Another gorgeous Christmas card, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the layer of dark ink and lighter embossing for your poinsettia. It's gorgeous, especially with the red of the petals. I love the addition of the watercoloured stenciling as well. Great design Susan! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous red watercolored poinsettia, Susan. I loved how you added bits of stenciling here and there. It adds so much interest depth to your flower. TFS and sharing your technique. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very festive and striking! A gorgeous Christmas card a lovely shades of red:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool to stencil around the poinsettia. It adds interest and I love the mono watercoloring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning monochromatic Christmas card Susan and yes you must do more x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous poinsettia, Susan! It's a monochromatic card, but it has so much interest - different shades of red petals, the shiny gem stones in the center, and the random stenciling in the background. Fabulous card!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful card Susan! Really like how you used the pearl embossing powder over the black ink to give a softer look on the outlines of your Poinsettia...soooo pretty! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful red monochromatic poinsettia card. Love the silver pearl EP over the black. Need to remember that trick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so beautiful and rich looking...love the red, I want to go do red now too!
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.