A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 2 May 2017

Blue Poppies

As a very keen gardener, I'm thrilled to have the May CAS Watercolour challenge be "Flowers"!


Poppies of all sorts are one of my favourite flowers, and blue is my favourite colour, so I love the blue Himalayan poppy.  The Penny Black image I've used here is not a very accurate depiction of the Himalayan poppy, but I was thinking of it when I chose the image so went with shades of blue.


I smooshed a bit of watercolour paper in Broken China Distress ink and when dry, stamped and heat embossed my flowers.  I coloured them in with my Gansai Tambi watercolour paints.  I then added some random bits of text with a Iced Spruce Distress ink, and heat embossed the sentiment.

I framed it with a stitched die and popped it up on fun foam.

Please come over to CAS Watercolour and check out the other cards by our wonderful Design Team and our Guest Designer, Mac Mable (Sweetest of Peas blog).  And then link up your clean and simple card featuring flowers by May 24th!  Can't wait to see what everyone creates!




Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black flowers, unknown sentiment, Wendy Vecchi script
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black; Distress Broken China and Iced Spruce
Paper - watercoour paper, Versafine Vintage Cream cs
Size - 5.25" square
Accessories - Lil Inkers stitched square die, fun foam, clear embossing powder, Gansai Tambi watercolour paints



7 comments:

  1. Love the soft colours of your splashed background ... the script looks awesome, Susan. Your poppies are so beautiful in blue. Great shading to give the flowers lots of visual depth. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the contemporary looking poppies, great background and perfectly framed x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so lovely to see blue poppies for a change Susan and the soft blue with the script works well for the background, and the stitched frame is really elegant. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've painted your pretty poppies, Susan! They are so pretty against the soft blue background! Love the script and frame too! A beautiful card, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the blue poppies, the subtle background text looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love the blue poppies...the hint of script in the bkg adds such interest to this beautiful card mf.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your blue poppies, Susan. May is truly the month of "Blue" flowers. We got home last night to lush greens, and beautiful flowers..not all blue. I Love how you gave your pretty poppies a soft watercoloured washed background and added the subtle stamped texted. A gorgeous card with simple framing. TFS my friend. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.