A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 20 March 2017

Smooshed Sea

Christine Alexander (It's a Card Day's Night) and I spent yesterday at Loll Thompson's house playing with acrylic paints, small canvases, various techniques.  One of the techniques left a ton of paint on the craft table.  So we took various types of paper (watercolour, Bristol, cardstock, Yupo, etc.) and smooshed them in the leftover paint.  Here's a card made using one of my pieces:


I used a piece of Yupo to mop up a mixture of blue acrylic paint that had been spritzed with water.  I got a lovely background that seemed much like the sea.  So when I saw that the new Addicted to CAS challenge is "seaside", it seemed the perfect piece to incorporate into a seaside-themed card.

I stamped a very old PSX sentiment on it, trimmed it down, and added it to a white card base.  I had a leftover piece of sprayed cs (sprayed very appropriately with the Mr. Huey's spray called "Shell").  I cut the base of the shells out of the lighter spray area, and then the top outlines of the shells out of the more solid-coloured areas.  Glued them together and then attached to the card, and it was done.

I'm linking it up to Addicted to CAS:

and to CAS Mix-Up:


For CAS Mix Up, I have stamping, smooshing, and, for my choice, die cuts.

I hope you like it. 





Supplies:
Stamps - PSX
Ink - Ranger Archival Jet Black
Paper - white cs, Yupo
Size - A2
Accessories - blue acrylic paints, Elizabeth Craft Designs seashell dies, Mr. Huey's "Shell" spray



9 comments:

  1. What a great mopped up background and is perfect as the sea. Great sentiment and loving your card x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful background that does look like the sea! Love the shells and that sentiment is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the background looks awesome, it reminds me of encaustic wax, just look at those ripples of acrylic paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful underwater sea smooshed background with acrylic paint leftovers...how fun Susan. Love your die cut shells and sentiment. All a perfect combo for your creative card. TFS my friend. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous background Susan. It really does look like the sea. The layered shells are so pretty. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your background is just perfect, and the card is beautiful :)

    Thank you for playing along with us at Addicted to CAS - DT Ellenor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your background is beautiful, Susan! I love how you placed the sea shells and your color combo is perfect for the seaside! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at Addicted to CAS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely background. Perfect colorcombination. Thanks for joining us over at ATCAS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having just come back from a cruise - your sentiment perfectly reflects how I felt. Love the background and the shells. So glad you joined us at ATCAS this week
    jaydee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.