A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 7 February 2017

Old is New Heart

This week's SCS CAS challenge is called "Old is New Again".  We were to find a love or heart card in our own SCS gallery from a few years back and use the same image to create a card in the style we work in today.

I found a card I made in 2013:


It is typical of my style in 2013 - stamped, heat embossed, bordered and layered, with some decorative paper on the cardbase.

I used the same stamp to create today's card:


Today's version shows my new preference for interesting techniques and a more CAS style.

I used Heather T's technique (seen on her blog here) of painting on the stamp with a paintbrush and water, stamping it, and then sprinkling brushos on the wet impression of the image.

I painted my stamp carefully with water (not too much and not too little water - it is a Goldilocks technique!), stamped it onto watercolour paper and sprinkled two shades of red brushos on the wet areas. I left it to dry, then brushed off any stray bits of brushos.

I got a nice watery look - none of the text that is the background to the heart is legible and in some areas barely shows. There was a perfect blank section in the bottom right that was just the right size for me to stamp my sentiment in black - I kept it on the same angle as the lines of text in the stamp.

I bordered with black and popped it up on fun foam on a white cardbase.

I like it so much more than the card made with the same stamp back in 2013!

Because it uses watercolouring, it's also perfect for CAS Watercolouring's February theme of "love" so I'm linking it up there.


There's no deadline for doing the SCS challenge, but the CAS Watercolouring one ends on February 24th.

Thanks for stopping by.






Supplies:
Stamps - Clearly Perfect "Dream of Love", SU sentiment
Ink - Archival Jet Black
Paper - watercolour paper, white and black cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - brilliant red and scarlet brushos, fun foam



6 comments:

  1. Your new card has turned out beautifully. Yes I think the trends now are technique based, which I love and I absolutely love your card. It is very unique and so contemporary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are beautiful Susan. But I know you probably had more fun making the new one. Watercolouring techniques are a lot of fun, and so is working with Brushos. LOVE the bright colours of your heart, it just pops with the black accents. And the blurred script is very artsy ... great combination. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got the water just right, Goldilocks! I like the embossed heart but the bright, red, watercolor heart is so gorgeous, I can't help but LOVE it! You got that sentiment perfectly matched to the background too! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the old and new, it shows our creative developement. I must admit I'm a huge fan of your water colour card and I love the effect of bister and brusho

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Sue...your current style and design for the same heart stamp is soooo artsy, trendy and the coolest ever technique. I MUST try your technique soon my friend. TFS ...you have me inspired!!! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this one! The watercolor look of stamping is so beautiful. Great job and to use the most recent word "artsy!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.