A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 5 December 2016

A Christmas Fairy

I've fallen in love with the Lavinia line of stamps - so magical!  I recently bought a couple of them and here's my first time using one:


I just love that sweet fairy sitting in the moon and reaching for some stars.  And SCS had the perfect challenge for me to use it: the Ways to Use It challenge - "Celebrating Hans Christian Andersen" - use an image that could be used in a fairy tale.

I started by splattering masking fluid on my cs. When it was dry, I sponged with two shades of blue Distress ink. Then rubbed off the masking fluid.

Then I stamped the fairy image in black and heat embossed all of it in clear, except for the four little stars by the fairy's hand - I carefully sprinkled gold embossing powder on them using a thin straw cut to a fine point.

I stamped the extra stars and added a few die cut snowflakes and a torn snowy ground with my sentiment stamped on it.

I didn't want the quarter moon or the fairy's wings to stay the blue of the background, so went over them with a Quickie glue pen, adding white glitter to the moon and a mixed iridescent glitter to the wings.  Here's a close-up showing the two types of glitter:


I'm hoping for some Christmas money so I can order some more of the Lavinia stamps!!




Supplies:
Stamps - Lavinia fairy, Stampendous star, A Muse sentiment
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black, Distress Faded Jeans and Chipped Sapphire
Paper - Gina K white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - masking fluid, clear embossing powder, white glitter, mixed glitter, snowflake die



2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful Susan! LOVE all the fantastic techniques and products you've layered on this amazing card. First of all ... the moon and fairy image is so pretty. The white glitter really makes it stand out and gives it so much beautiful sparkle. Especially love the iridescent glitter on the wings.

    Great job with masking fluid for the background snow. I have yet to use mine ... I'm so impatient and having to wait for it to dry is a problem for me. :) It looks awesome. And great job with applying the gold glitter to just those few stars. Using a straw is so clever. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Susan, this is AMAZING! Love the fairy with the translucent, sparkly wings and the gorgeous moon! And those stars are amazing! I would not have thought to use a straw. What a fantastic idea! A wonderful example of mixed media!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.