A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 15 September 2016

Marbled Tea for CAS Mix Up

This is my reminder card for the September CAS Mix Up challenge "Marbling".  Our challenge is to use stamping, marbling, and your choice of at least one other element from our list of choices on the right of the CAS Mix Up page.


For my card, I chose die cutting (the teapot), Glossy Accents (on the teapot), and heat embossing (on the sentiment).


I used the shaving foam method of marbling and .  See here for a tutorial on it.  I stuck to just two colours of Distress reinkers - Faded Jeans and Seedless Preserves.  After swirling the inks on the foam, I just started playing with different scraps of cs.  First I pulled a piece of regular fairly heavy cs through it.  This got me a very dark marbled piece.  I then tried a few others.  I did not like the results on glossy or coated cs so tossed them.  But my final pull was on a piece of quite lightweight watercolour paper and I really liked it so used it for the background for this card. 

I showed the results to Loll Thompson and she suggested using the very dark first pull for die cuts and that's what gave me the idea for this card.  Thanks, Loll!

I die cut the dark piece with the PTI teapot die, and cut a second teapot so I could layer it for more substance.  I then coated it with Glossy Accents to make it look more like a china teapot.  I trimmed the background piece so that I could place the teapot on it as if there was a swirl of lovely blackcurrant tea scent coming out of the spout.  With a paintbrush, I added a bit of watered down reinker around the base of the teapot to ground it.

I added a stamped (in dark blue) and heat embossed sentiment, bordered with navy cs, and popped it up on fun foam for dimension.

Please think about getting very messy with some marbling and join us at CAS Mix Up - you have until September 24 to link up.





Supplies:
Stamps - PTI Tea for Two sentiment
Ink - Versafine Majestic Blue inkpad; Distress Faded Jeans and Seedless Preserves reinkers
Paper - PTI Vintage Cream cs, watercolour paper, navy cs
Size - A2
Accessories - shaving cream, clear embossing powder, PTI teapot die, Glossy Accents



3 comments:

  1. Those two colours are so pretty together Susan. LOVE the glossy accents on your "china" tea pot. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shiny teapot is perfect on this background, Susan! I love the way you have a puff of steam coming from the pot! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your red currant steam..mmm..I can smell it! You really got the porcelain effect you were hoping for from your Glossy Accents...so cool. TFS your marbled card Susan. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.