A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 20 August 2015

Congratulations X 2

A friend asked me to make him two "congratulations" cards for his coworkers who recently got promotions.  He wanted them larger than the usual A2 so that there is room for all his staff to sign.

First up is one using some lovely die cut dogwoods (I borrowed the die from my friend Christine).


I sponged a blossom stencil - the flowers are sponged in two shades of pink distress ink and the leaves in one shade of green. After cleaning the stencil, I replaced it over the sponging and added clear embossing paste.

I die cut the dogwood flowers and leaves in white cs and sponged them with the same colours of distress ink as on the stencil. I shaped them a bit with a stylus, stuck them together with crystal effects and added them to a die cut branch over the stencil. I finished off with yellow liquid pearls in the centres of the flowers and mounted them on a brown branch die cut.

The sentiment is cut into a banner and lightly sponged in the same colours.  Pink ribbon down the edge holds extra pages on the inside for signatures.

The second card uses my favourite technique for making hydrangeas:


I made a background on coated cs with two shades of blue brushos then stamped the hydrangea collage stamp. I brayered a piece of the same coated cs with the Hydrangea ink pad that gives a nice variety of blues and mauves inks, and punched out lots of tiny hydrangea blossoms which I layered over the image. I added white gel pen dots to the centres.

I framed it with a stitched rectangle frame (using 3 layers to give substance) and added one tiny blossom to the bottom corner.

I'm entering it in the Less is More challenge "Congratulations".


 Supplies for Card 1:
Stamps: unknown sentiment
Paper: white and brown cs
Paper Size: 7x5"
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa, Distress Shabby Shutters, Spun Sugar, and Tattered Rose
Accessories: Tim Holtz blossom stencil, Dreamweaver clear embossing paste, Susan's Garden dogwood die, Memory Box branch die, Liquid Pearls Buttercup, dimensionals
Supplies for Card 2:
Stamps: Rubber Stampede sentiment, Inkadinkado hydrangea
Paper: white cs, coated cs
Paper Size: 7x5"
Ink: Big and Juicy Hydrangea, Archival Jet Black
Accessories: Martha Stewart hydrangea punch, Lil Inkers stitched rectangles, Ultra Marine and Oster Blue Brushos, Signo white gel pen

5 comments:

  1. Two gorgeous cards Susan. LOVE the softness of your sponged, stenciled flowers, and then the dimension from your beautiful branch of blooms. Fantastic design. And LOVE the colours of your soft brushos background and beautiful hydrangea blossom. Two "WOW!" cards. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards Susan with lots of stunning colours, attention to detail and fabulous dimension.
    Thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
    Sarah xx
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two lovely cards, Susan. Both very different but so much interest and texture.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Anita x
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Susan - two gorgeous creations, love all those tiny hydrangea florets
    Thanks for joining us this week
    Anne
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how far behind I am on visiting! How exciting to come by and find these 2 beauties! The dogwoods are gorgeous and I love that stenciling behind them that look like an entire tree in bloom with a closeup of one branch! And the hydrangea is equally as gorgeous! I love the script and butterfly in the background!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.