A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 16 March 2017

Spring Crocuses

It's time for a reminder card for CAS Watercolour.  March's challenge is "Spring".


And what more appropriate image for spring than crocuses?  They are starting to bloom in my garden, and like in my stamped image, they often poke their way through the leftover dead leaves from autumn.


There are so many different ways to watercolour.  I decided to use my Tombow markers, a mister, and paintbrush with water for this card.

I put my stamp in the MISTI and went over the crocus leaves only with a green marker, then spritzed with water, and stamped onto hot press w/c paper.  Before it could dry, I took a paint brush and a bit more water and moved the colour around, filling in inside the image outline.

I then repeated the process with two shades of purple markers for the flowers.  I realized I should have let the leaves dry first as some of the purple bled into them.  By the time I repeated the process a third time with two shades of brown markers for the leaves on the ground, the crocus leaves were dry so I didn't have any bleeding.

I inked up the spring stamp with one of the brown markers, and also scribbled a bit of that marker on my craft mat, watered it down, and did some light splattering with it.

I got it all assembled with the image die cut, popped up on fun foam, etc. and then looked at it and realized that I totally forgot about the orange stamens crocuses have, but too late now!!  I also thought I should have stamped "spring" in the upper left corner instead as it looked unbalanced and too crowded where I put it.  So I balanced it a bit with two light brown adhesive pearls.  We're our own worst critics, aren't we!?

You have until March 24th to link up your spring watercolour card here.  Please be sure to keep your card CAS (clean and simple) and follow the theme.




Supplies:
Stamps - Serendipity crocuses, Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - markers only
Paper - hot press watercolour paper, cream cs
Size - 4.5" square
Accessories -Tombow markers, Lil Inkers stitched square, light brown adhesive pearls, fun foam



7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous watercoloured crocuses Susan. I thought your sentiment looked perfectly balanced, but probably because you did add the pearls..perfect solution. I have discovered how helpful sequins can be in balancing an image and esp. covering up bits of unwanted ink! Love how you framed your beauty too. TFS Susan. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crocuses are so pretty, Susan! I love the light and dark tones and I think that bit of purple in the leaves gives a more realistic look. The pearls balance the sentiment perfectly! We are our own worst critics I think because I think this is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The watercoloring is fabulous, and I love the image you selected. These flowers are so lovely, and I like the creamy shade you've paired with the deep purple tones. I'm with Bonnie, I think it's superb, and I didn't notice any missing stamens! Just a beautiful card! TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful watercolouring Susan. Love those crocuses. The colour is so gorgeous and great job with shading to create a lot of depth. The splatters are the perfect finishing touch. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty card! I love the way you did all the watercoloring. Yes we are our own worse critics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes we are, are own worst critics but believe me when I say this is one stunning card. The colours are gorgeous, great water-colouring and I love the layout. Perfectly balanced x

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a pretty water colour effect, I love how the colours run into each other

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.