A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 16 January 2017

CAS Watercolour Snowflake Reminder

It's the middle of the month already and you only have until January 24th to enter this month's CAS Watercolour challenge.


I went with a stamp that Loll Thompson used for her example in the original post for this challenge, but gave it a very different treatment.


I created my watercolour background first by sprinkling blue and black brushos on coated cardstock.  I over-spritzed with water and ending up make the blue more grey than it normally is and not having any of the interesting colour tones the black usually gives.  But I quite liked the chilly feel of the colour and I liked the way I got a nice speckled border that makes a natural snowbank.  I also liked the dip where I situated the tree as snow often piles up outside the tree's drip line and leaves a hollow where the branches have sheltered the ground a bit.

I stamped the tree in Versamark and heat embossed with a very sparkly embossing powder.  In order to get a good photo of the whole card, I couldn't really pick up the sparkle of the tree, but here's a close-up that shows it.


I trimmed it down so that I could have more white space around it, popped it up on fun foam and added a few die cut snowflakes.

I originally stamped a smaller sentiment directly on the focal panel but smudged it on the coated cs.  I had a different sentiment stamped and heat embossed on regular cs, already die cut and mounted on silver glitter cs sitting in my UFO box, so used that to cover up the smudge!

Be sure to link up your clean and simple cards using watercolour and a snowflake or two over at our challenge, and check out today's new inspiration from the rest of the Design Team!

I'm also taking the card over to the Christmas Cards All Year Round challenge "add snowflakes" and to the SCS CAS challenge "Frozen".





Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black snow dust, Rubber Soul sentiment
Ink - Versamark, Versafine Onyx Black
Paper - white cs, coated cs, silver glitter cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Stampendous Silver Tinsel embossing powder, small snowflake dies, Spellbinders oval dies, clear embossing powder, blue and black Brushos



9 comments:

  1. The brushos background is gorgeous Susan! They definitely do give a chilly feel with the blue gray colour ... like a storm is happening. Very cool how the little stray bits of crystals created the most interesting snowbank --- it's awesome. Love the sparkle from your heat embossed tree. And great save on the sentiment. We'd never know it was covering up a boo-boo. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Brushos background Susan. I love the grey wintery tone and your snowdrift effect. Your GORGEOUS heat embossed tree though really takes center stage. I think your sentiment gives such a nice balance to your design. Don't you love when smudges turn out so well? TFS my friend. Hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous winter scene, it really has a huge impact after you cut it down. I love the blue wintery sky and the sparkly silver embossing. Great Christmas card

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Brusho background is the perfect shape and color for a snowy, scene, Susan! Isn't it amazing how things turn out sometimes without our intending? Love that tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adore the look you got on that background. In love with those Brusho effects!
    The perfect choice of embossing powders for that beautiful tree, like that you repeated it under the sentiment. Beautiful done! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. ..love it!!... fab look mf!
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful and peaceful..gorgeous.
    Thank you so much for sharing and joining in with us at CCAYR...

    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful card and lovely Christmas scene. Thank you for sharing with us at Christmas Cards All Year Round.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd made my card before I started looking at the cards from the design team...and our cards are very similar! Love what you've done with the embossing...very elegant!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.