A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 15 May 2016

UTEE - Ultra Thick Embossed Cardinal

It's time for the mid-month reminder to enter the CAS Mix Up challenge!  May's challenge is:


I decided to use UTEE for my heat embossing.  If you're not familiar with it, UTEE stands for Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel.  It gives a far thicker and more raised result than regular embossing powder.  It's great for solid images as well as for a lot of mixed media work.


I stamped my cardinal image with Versamark and then heat embossed it with gold UTEE.  It's a good idea to use a heavy weight cs with UTEE.

My choice of an extra element is a die cut sentiment.  I wanted it to match so rubbed Versamark on a scrap of cs, added the gold UTEE, and then when cool, die cut "Joy".  To keep the gold all the same, I created my bordering layer the same way, as described in this video by Gina K.

It's a wonderful heat embossing technique for making sure your border matches your embossed image - you can use it with UTEE or regular embossing powder.  The UTEE bubbles up a bit when you're heating it.  If you keep heating, it smoothes out, but I liked the slightly bubbled texture for my border.

As a finishing touch, and keeping with the heat embossing part of the challenge, I sprinkled some Frantage powder (the one with a mixture of white and gold) around the cardinal and heated it from underneath.

Please come and join us at CAS Mix Up.  You have until May 24th to link up your card.






Supplies:
Stamps - Inkadinkado
Ink - Versamark
Paper - Gina K Pure Luxury Heavy white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - gold UTEE, Stampendous Frantage Shabby White Embossing Enamel, Spellbinders rectangle dies, Spellbinders Joy die



6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Susan. LOVE all that gold! So elegant. The UTEE really makes a statement. Great job with embossing the frame to match. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the gold embossing on this rich card, Susan! Thanks for sharing the video for creating a matching embossed border! It really adds to this classy card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a Fabulous UTEE technique for your main image and joy. I have not used my UTEE forever. You have inspired me to let my jar out of its drawer! TFS your beauty and link Susan. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I happen to love cardinals, I'm especially entranced with the image. Love your idea of how to use the Gold Utee. It is just extremely beautiful, and so dimensional! Good job! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a real golden beauty of a card! I love the perfectly matched mat, and especially the spatters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty card Susan! I love creating those borders too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.