A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 18 June 2018

Encrusted Jewels Butterfly

At the recent craft retreat I was at, Loll Thompson taught us the Encrusted Jewel Technique.  It is perfect for this month's CAS Mix Up challenge:


I turned one of the pieces I made at the retreat into this card:


To make the butterfly, I die cut it from thick card stock, then placed it on a warm grill on top of a layer of non-stick craft mat then parchment paper.  I sprinkled it with embossing powders.  I think I used some Frantage Shabby Blue, aqua or turquoise, white, and  platinum but I did not make a note of it.  Once they had melted, I added gold tinsel glitter and micro beads on top.  The melted embossing powders holds the glitter in place.  To finish it off, I melted UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) on top.

I kept the card very CAS with just a stitched die cut layer popped up on fun foam on the card base and a few sequins for embellishment.

I was originally going to do the sentiment in a matching aqua colour (ColorBox Robin's Egg with clear embossing powder, but after I'd stamped it, I decided I wanted a contrasting colour so added platinum embossing powder instead.  In the close-up below, you can see that a bit of the Robin's Egg ink shows through the embossing powder.  You can also see all the tinsel glitter and shades of embossing powders in the butterfly.


It is a really fun technique and I may have to go out and buy myself an old used electric grill just to make more pieces.  You could do it with your heat gun but you'd have to heat it from underneath and it would be harder to stop the embossing powder and added things like glitter from blowing off.




Supplies:
Stamps - SU sentiment
Ink - ColorBox Robin's Egg
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Memory Box butterfly die, embossing powders (Frantage Shabby Blue, aqua, platinum, white, and UTEE), Martha Stewart gold tinsel glitter, micro beads, sequins, fun foam



14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for leaving me a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, looks like crystal. What a beautiful, impressive piece and I adore that touch of tinsel.
    I mean WOW :o
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gorgeous butterfly looks like a piece of jewelry, Susan. I was so lucky to see your butterfly IRL at our retreat. It is even more Stunning in real life! I love your CAS design that really shows off your butterfly. TFS my friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning and very beautiful encrusted jewel technique on the butterfly. What wonderful colours you've used and such a unique and glorious card. Loving the mixing of heat embossed colours on the sentiment too x Stunningly CAS and also mixing the media's and introducing the technique too....Marvellous x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Gorgeous! It's just amazing that your sequins match so perfectly! I can't get over your colors on this. This is incredibly beautiful, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful butterfly, Susan! I love how your sequins are such a perfect match and the platinum embossed sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So elegant and stylish, Susan! Your encrusted butterfly is so sparkly and gorgeous! Good decision to give some contrast by heat embossing the sentiment with platinum ep. Beautiful card! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, your butterfly is gorgeous, keeping the background simple is perfect. The addition of the sequins is just the right amount of colour and texture. It doesn't detract from that incredible butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how you did it, Susan, but you've made your butterfly look as good on the screen as it looks in real life! That's rarely the case, but that's how gorgeous your butterfly is! I am in love with how you designed your card. You let the butterfly be the star, but your other elements are gorgeous, as well. The platinum e/p is perfect. How did you get those sequints to match so well?!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a pretty card...love how you butterfly turned out, elegant card and so fresh feeling.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE your beautiful and sparkly butterfly Susan. Gorgeous colours and design to let the butterfly be the star of the card. This has been such a fun technique to play with. You definitely need to buy a small grill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this elegant CAS card with the stunning encrusted jewel butterfly, Susan! I can see the tinsel glitter and the beautiful shades of embossing powders in the close-up picture. The combination of the Robin's Egg ink and the platinum embossing powder is a great choice! Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautifully light and airy butterfly in the pale blue with golden glitter Susan! The pretty sequins are the perfect accent! Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow such a pretty card! That butterfly is fantastic looking. The colors are very nice and the glittery parts just really add to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.