A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 20 March 2018

Music and Holly Challenges

I got to spend the afternoon in my craft room today.  I had intended to work on organizing my unmounted stamps but instead, made two cards.

First up, for Jingle Belles "Hark the Herald Angels SING" - have a musical element on the card.


One of my goals this year is to use up lots of pieces from my UFO box.  This little piece of background was in there - it's smooshed oxide inks on photographic paper.  I die cut the musical score out of navy cs, added strips of navy cs to the top and bottom, stamped the sentiment in navy, and popped the panel up on fun foam.


I also wanted to make another card for the inaugural CAS Christmas Card Challenge "Holly".


I had a piece of mixed media cs in my UFO box that I'd sprinkled and spritzed with green brushos.  So I started with that.


I used a Tim Holtz stencil with white glitter embossing paste.  I missed a section of the stencil so I die cut the sentiment and placed it over that section to hide the fact that it wasn't evenly covered with the stenciled design.  I trimmed it down and added a narrow red border, and popped the panel up on fun foam.

If you want to join us at CAS Christmas Card Challenge, it's open until March 24th.





Supplies for first card:
Stamps - A Muse sentiment
Ink - Staz-On Midnight Blue
Paper - photo paper, white and navy cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Simon Says Stamp Jingle Snowflake die, fun foam

Supplies for second card:
Paper - mixed media cs, red cs, cream shimmer cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Tim Holtz Festive stencil, Cosmic Shimmer glitter paste, Tattered Lace Merry Christmas die, fun foam




7 comments:

  1. absolutely *love* that beautiful background and you've made it into the perfect card! thanks for singing along with our xmas card fun at JINGLE BELLES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those backgrounds are gorgeous! So glad you got to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. both are gorgeous Susan, I love the softness of the distress oxide background and the texture on your holly card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved how you were able to use mixed media backgrounds you had in your stash. Both cards are so beautiful and perfect for the challenges you are entering. TFS Susan. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ALWAYS better to make cards than spend time organizing! :) LOVE the first card with the gorgeous colours of that smooshed background. So pretty with the navy die-cuts.

    And LOVE the bright green with the white glittery stenciling. Perfect placement of your die-cut sentiment ... would never have notice missing design except you pointed it out. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not tried smooshing the oxides on photographic paper, but will be giving that a go now after seeing your gorgeous card. What a vibrant second card, which I love....The green is glorious and the pop of red looks great x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two more fantastic Christmas cards, Susan! Love the music scale and the contrast between the navy and that pretty blue background! Love, love, love the stenciling on the green Brusho piece! Brilliant to die cut the sentiment to place over an oops! I would never have know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.