A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 16 January 2018

Watercoloured Thistles

My goodness, January is flying by!  It's already time to remind you about the current CAS Watercolour challenge.


I was inspired to make this card for a friend who does lovely botanical watercolours and she's particularly fond of thistles.


I put the thistle stamp in my MISTI and used Distress markers to colour it - I did each colour separately, applying the marker directly to the stamp, then spritzing lightly with water (the mini mister is best for this as you don't get too much water) and stamping.  When I was happy with the result, I let it air dry.

My fellow Design Team member, Karen Dunbrook (of the Snippets blog), always inspires me with her use of drywall tape for a stencil - I found a scrap of drywall tape on the ground of a new house being built next door so grabbed it!

In keeping with the watercolour challenge, I smooshed a bit of Distress Chipped Sapphire on my craft mat and spritzed it with water to get it paler and thinner.  I laid the dry wall tape over the thistle, and used a narrow flat paintbrush to go over bits of it - it was easy to see where the thistle was so could avoid stenciling on it.  I really like the result as it has a definite watercolour feel to it - as opposed to sponging over a stencil.

I stamped a small vertical sentiment in Memento Plum Berry, trimmed the panel down, bordered it with navy blue cs, and used a cream card base.

It's great to have a birthday card done for a friend a few months ahead of the birthday!!

Please join us with your watercolour birthday cards - you have until January 24th to link up at CAS Watercolour.





Supplies:
Stamps - Hero Arts Elegant Weeds, Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - Distress Chipped Sapphire, Memento Plum Berry
Paper - watercolour paper, navy cs, PTI Vintage Cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - various purple and green Distress markers, drywall tape



11 comments:

  1. Living in Scotland I love the thistle and I love your artsy card. Yes the effect of water colouring as opposed to sponging etc through the stencil is so different and loving it. Great effect and thank you for the wonderful inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those thistles are so beautiful Susan. Love the colours you've used for watercolouring. And the watercoloured backdrop with the drywall tape is fantastic. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty thistles, my friend! The watercolor stenciling around the flowers is so pretty! The blue is a perfect complement to the purple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful result for those watercolour thistles. The blue stencilling is the perfect compliment too. Lovely card Susan, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again you have done a beautiful job on this, Susan! Love, love, love the effect of watercoloring over the drywall tape! How great that looks and compliments your artwork so beautifully! Thanks for another new and fresh idea! I'm a fan of Memento ink but now have to hunt down that gorgeous color you used!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous watercoloured stamped thistle, Susan. Before you know it they will be blooming again:-) You know, I don't think I have ever watercoloured thru a stencil or dry wall scrap (love how you snitched it!). I just love the watercolour look of your stenciled background. Your girlfriend is going to Love her very special birthday card. TFS my friend. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the artsy effect of the drywall tape stenciling around your beautiful thistle. Gorgeous Card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drywall tape? How cool. Your thistle card is beautiful. You should get it framed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The thistles stamped with distress markers are so beautiful, Susan! And I love your watercolor stenciling- very artsy!
    I couldn't help laughing in front of my computer when I read "I found a scrap of drywall tape on the ground of a new house being built next door so grabbed it!" :-D Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. really lovely card mf...love the hints of stenciling behind the image.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful flower and brilliant use of tape for stencilling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.