A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 9 August 2017

Festive Alcohol Inks

This card came about as a combination of having my alchol inks out for this month's CAS Mix Up challenge:


and one of SCS's Dare to Get Dirty challenges.  It closes today so I'm sure it won't matter now if I say that the challenge is called "Got Metal".


I put a piece of aluminum foil tape on a scrap of white cs and ran it through an embossing folder. Then dropped various Christmas colours of alcohol inks on it, trying not to let the red and green mix and turn to muddy brown. When dry, I sanded over the raised portions to get the ink off.

I bordered that panel with red and green shimmery cs, and topped with a Tim Holtz metal Christmas token attached with silver cord. I popped the panel up with foam tape and added it to a matte silver card base.

When I'd finished the card, I realized that I couldn't add it to CAS Mix Up because there is no stamping on it!  I contemplated adding a sentiment below the panel but decided I liked the clean look of it without anything else.  And I'd probably smudge the stamping on the slippery silver cardbase and totally ruin it!

Here's hoping you'll join us at CAS Mix Up before August 24th.  Your card must be clean and simple, include stamping and alcohol inks and one other element or technique from our list.  Had I added stamping, my "other" would have been dry embossing.

I'll be posting more of my Dare to Get Dirty challenge cards over the next while so please come back! 





Supplies:
Ink - various alcohol inks
Paper - red and green shimmer cs, silver matte cs, scrap of white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Cuttlebug embossing folder, Tim Holtz "Festive" metal token, silver cord, foam tape, aluminum foil tape used for furnace ducts



8 comments:

  1. Susan so pretty, love the metal token so pretty with your AI background

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool. I need to try making some of these. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I'm not only a fan of metal but am also a fan of rich contrast which you achieved brilliantly on this piece. Love this! It turned out absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Susan, Absolutely Stunning foil and Alcohol Ink dry embossed Christmas main image. Love how you added your metal festive tag too. TFS my friend. I am so pleased you added another AI beauty to our challenge this month:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I can't add it to the challenge as there isn't any stamping!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful technique! I see a future CAS Mix Up challenge here! Love how you've colored the foil and the embossing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So striking and what a fabulous technique. Yes I think you where right not to 'add' any stamping just in case. You really would not have wanted to 'spoil' this amazing card as it is so perfect as it is x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cool idea with the aluminum tape and then running it through with the EF. You are brace to use red and green together. Great job not mixing them too much to avoid a brown colour. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.