A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 8 April 2017

Three Variations on a Vintage Rose

I've never used washi tape before (and hardly have any) but I do have some by Tim Holtz so pulled out his rose design tape to use for this week's SCS Ways to Use It challenge "Tape, Tape, and More Tape".


I stamped the image in brown archival ink and then watercoloured it by pressing a bit of various Distress inks on an acrylic block and picking it up with water and a brush. I sponged around the edges of the panel with Distress Frayed Burlap as it is close to the background colour in the washi tape.

Added a sentiment and a few champagne coloured pearls.

As well as using the washi tape, I used a rose stamp I've had for years and never used. And a new sentiment stamp I got recently. So everything on the card (with the exception of the inks and the pearls) are "NBUS" so I'm adding my card to Darnell's NBUS challenge.

And because the rose is watercoloured in pink and green, I'm also adding it to the CAS Watercolour challenge ("pink and green").


The Flower Challenge has a sketch challenge this month.  I don't really like sketch challenges but I had the idea that I could use an earlier stamping and watercolouring of the same rose stamp that had a smudge down at the bottom.  I cut out the flower with a circle die, cut another circle in blue to match the dragonfly, and placed it over some pink dp with a bit of blue in it.  Die cut the sentiment and added a few pearls. 



And one more with the same stamp that I've made for a friend whose birth month flower is the rose and whose favourite colour is yellow.  This time I coloured with copics and sponged the edges with the same archival ink I had stamped with.  I wanted to use my rose embossing folder with it.  It is a British ef so its proportions are different to our North American A2 cards.  I tried to trim it down to fit an A2 card base but it looked wrong so I cut a British size card and it works way better.  The overall card is the same width but taller.  I added a few heart-shaped gemstones to tie the colours in the focal panel to the rest of the card.


Nice to get three cards done for my stash!                                          





Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Hampton Art rose, Chocolate Baroque sentiment
Ink - Ranger Archival Potted Soil; Distress Tattered Rose, Worn Lipstick, Peeled Paint, Pine Needles, and Frayed Burlap
Paper - watercolour paper, cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Tim Holtz washi tape, pearls, fun foam
Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Hampton Arts rose
Ink - Ranger Archival Potting Soil; Distress Tattered Rose, Worn Lipstick, Peeled Paint, Pine Needles
Paper - watercolour paper, cream cs, My Mind's Eye dp
Size - A2
Accessories - pearls, blue marker, Spellbinders circle dies, Tattered Lace sentiment die

Supplies for card 3:
Stamps - Hampton Arts rose, Hero Arts sentiment
Ink - Ranger Archival Potting Soil
Paper - cream and white cs
Size - 6x4.25"
Accessories - Copic markers, heart shaped gems, Crafts Too embossing folder




7 comments:

  1. OMG Susan, each one of your gorgeous cards using the same rose vintage stamp is absolutely beautiful!!! Each card was my favorite as I scrolled down....I can not possibly chose a favorite. You must be thrilled with how all your cards turned out. TFS my friend. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three pretty cards using your beautiful rose stamp, Susan. Always great when you can use a NBUS ... especially one that has been around for a long time. :) Love the image, great colouring in all different mediums. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three gorgeous roses, Susan! I love the vintage look of the first two! And the third is beautiful with the rose embossing! I love how you've shown the roses colored with different mediums! It's hard to choose a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now don't you wonder why you had that utterly gorgeous stamp all these years and never used it? You've truly showcased it beautifully in these different cards, Susan! The Washi tape is a wonderful accompaniment, the sketch challenge was a great way to use up a boo-boo panel, and the last one in rose for your friend is perfection with that e/f! Well done all!! Thank you so much for joining in my NBUS Challenge #11! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. the stamp is perfect for that vintage look. Love the one with the washi tape, i can't believe how well they match :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All three cards are very pretty and each one has interesting details that inspire me. I always forgot to use my washi tape. I love the vintage aging you created by distress inking the edges!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful cards and love the images you used. Your card for our sketch challenge is gorgeous and the washi tape is divine. So very glad you joined us at The Flower Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.