A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 19 April 2016

Stenciled Flowers for Julie

This week's SCS CAS challenge is "It's About Birthdays".  The perfect opportunity to get a birthday card made well in advance of my sister's birthday.  And it's another card for the CAS Mix Up challenge "stamping + stenciling + your choice" - my choice was the Color Burst powders I coloured the flowers with.


I placed a flower stencil over watercolour paper and sprinkled different colours of color burst powders through the openings, then (with the stencil still in place) spritzed with water. Most of it came out really nicely but I had one big unattractive muddy splotch so put my sentiment on a die cut and covered it up! Thank goodness we have die cuts!

I added little strips of black cs to the top and bottom so that I would end up with a perfect square which I popped up on fun foam on my card base.

A few of us got together at Loll Thompson's (Stamping with Loll) house on Saturday and played around with different products.  We compared Color Bursts to Brushos.  I own Brushos and have used them a lot.  For this card, I used Shirl's Color Bursts just to try them out.  My general feeling was that the two products give very similar results so if you own one already, you don't need the other.  So I'll be sticking with my Brushos.  I also think the Brushos are better value (more product for the money) and, if you keep them in their original containers with small holes poked in the lids, you have more control over how much powder comes out.  I found that too much powder would come out of the Color Burst containers.

Thanks for dropping by.






Supplies:
Stamps: SU sentiment
Paper: watercolour paper, PTI Vintage Cream, black scraps
Paper Size: 5.25" square
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Color Bursts, flower stencil, Sizzix label die, fun foam
Techniques: stenciling with color bursts

5 comments:

  1. What a nice look! Thanks for the comparison of Color Burst vs Brushos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Susan, did you here my out loud "WOW"? Gorgeous watercolored stenciling my friend. TFS the comparison of the 2 products. I have Brushos and love them. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful stenciled flowers, Susan! Great cover up for the muddy spot! The die cut looks perfect! Looks like a CAS Mix Up card to me! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the colors flow through these blooms Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great comparison information, Susan. Thanks for taking the time to do that! I think your arty stenciled Brusho card is outstanding! A watercolor artist would hate that you did this beautiful work of art in a fraction of the time a full-on painting would take!! Enjoy your day!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.