A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 4 September 2015

Vintage Holly for Happy Little Stampers

I'm on the Design Team for the Happy Little Stampers Christmas Challenge.  The October challenge is "Holly".  Here's my card:


My good friend, Loll Thompson, of Stamping with Loll, taught me her "faux mother-of-pearl" technique.  I used it for the background of this card.  But it's really hard to photograph!  In real life, there is lovely pearlescent shimmer where you see splotchy sections on the background in the photo! 

Loll did a video tutorial here on the faux mother-of-pearl technique if you're interested.

The style of the holly stamp and the font of the sentiment gave me the slight vintage feel I wanted to go with the faded background colours, and I added a bit of text for good measure.

After dabbing on the pearly paint, I sponged first with Bundled Sage and then with Shabby Shutters.  I stamped the text in Frayed Burlap with some of the ink dabbed off the stamp before stamping, then stamped the sentiment and image in Versafine Olympia Green, and watercoloured the holly with Mowed Lawn and Fired Brick.  I then went around the edges with Frayed Burlap.  The panel is popped up with foam tape and a bow added for embellishment.

Please come and join us at Happy Little Stampers.  The "Holly" challenge runs all through September.

I'm also entering the card in the Merry Monday "Use Holly" challenge.








Supplies:

Stamps: Great Impressions holly and sentiment, Memory Box script
Inks: Distress Bundled Sage, Shabby Shutters, Frayed Burlap, Fired Brick, and Mowed  Lawn; Versafine Olympia Green
Paper: PTI Vintage Cream cs
Size: A2
Accessories: Tsukineko Frost White paint, red/green ribbon, foam tape

14 comments:

  1. I love the vintage feel of this card. It reminds me of Christmas past... great job. LesLee xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do vintage, but I just love it. Your card is fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful card, Sussan. So luminous. I really like the bright center of the card and darker periphery of. I love the pearl significance of the background and the fact that you used the text to the background. All together they created a really a very beautiful card.
    hugs,
    BozenA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan, I love the look of your card. The mother of peal technique turned out beautiful on the card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really gorgeous Susan. I can imagine how shimmery this in real life. Love the text added to the background ... really does add the vintage look. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the vintage colors and the script stamped on this MOP background! Gorgeous holly too! Thanks for bring it over to Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty design, lovely Christmas card. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, it's beautiful...and lucky you to have Loll close enough so that ya'll can enjoy stamping sessions and learn from each other. The background is so pretty & I like the vintage shading that you've achieved. A pretty image, colored so nicely, and the dimension of the traditional colors in the bow added just the perfect embellishment. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great technique with beautiful holly! Thanks for playing Merry Monday with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card, love the background you have created, and the lovely vintage look. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so gorgeous Susan. I love that background (very arty imho) and the holly looks so pretty!
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a stunning, vintage-y looking card! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully vintage, Susan. The background is wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so totally love every single thing about this one Susan, and I have my fingers crossed for your challenges you have entered :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.