A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 3 October 2018

Peaceful Bird

It's October already and I'm hoping you've all been building up your collection of Christmas cards ready for posting in a couple of months.  I'm hosting the October CAS Christmas challenge to spur you on to making another one:


I have a friend who always asks me to make several cards with a dove and a "peace on earth" sentiment for her to buy at my November fundraiser sale.  So I wanted to use this challenge to get one made for her:



I love spray starch, brushos, and cling wrap backgrounds, and I also love blue and white together (as does my friend who will buy the card!) so used all of that for my card.

I sprayed starch on mixed media cs, sprinkled blue brushos over it, and then placed cling wrap on top and scrunched it up.  I love the texture it gives to the background.

I trimmed the piece down, popped it up on fun foam and added a die cut dove to it, and a simple stamped sentiment beneath it.

Please come and join us with your clean and simple Christmas cards featuring birds.  The challenge is open until October 24th and there is wonderful inspiration from the rest of the Design Team and our fabulous Guest Designer, Sue (Sue's Card Craft) so head on over to CAS Christmas!





Supplies:
Stamps - A Muse sentiment
Ink - Vivid Inky Blue
Paper - white cs, mixed media cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Impression Obsession dove die, blue Brushos, spray starch, cling wrap, Spellbinders rectangle die, fun foam



17 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful blue, Susan. I too enjoy that technique although I've got some really ugly results from it, not something pretty like this. Your dove is so perfect for your friend too. Love the font of the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous colour blue Susan which really makes that pretty white dove pop, and love the blue inked sentiment to match too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORGEOUS background, Susan! Such a beautiful shade of blue and I love all the texture you created with your technique! I also love the simplicity of your design and stunning Christmas dove...Thanks for inspiring me to play along :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! I love everything about this card and I have never heard of the spray starch technique!! Guess what I’m off to research!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card Susan. LOVE that amazing background. The brushos with cling wrap that shine with the deep colours of turquoise and blue. Love the variations of colour and the pattern from the cling wrap ... looks very icy and cold! Sweet with the white dove on top. Beautiful font for your sentiment. Your friend is going to love this card! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic challenge, my friend, and I love your sweet dove! The background is beautiful! Such a lovely shade of blue and I love the pattern from the cling wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Susan, the spray starch technique is one of my favorites especially love it in that amazing blue. The white and blue are so crisp together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pretty blue background Susan to showcase your beautiful dove. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning card Susan. Love the technique on the background and the blue colour is stunning against the crisp white of the dove. yes there is no doubt she will be buying these eye catching cards x.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Brushos and Cling Wrap background, Susan! Love the icy shades of blues and the dreamy texture!
    The blue and white color combination is so soothing and peaceful. Thanks for hosting the fun challenge!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cling Brusho background is gorgeous, Susan! Love that bright vibrant blue colour. That die cut white dove pops beautifully against it! A classic dove/peace on earth Christmas card and your friend is going to love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sue your background is just stunning, the bright blue behind the pure white dove along with the sentiment is perfect! Thanks for hosting this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful result for your techique on your background Susan - love the swirls of blue and the beautiful white dove! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous starch and Brushos cling wrap technique background, Susan. The bright blue really makes your elegant dove pop. Love you peace sentiment too. Your friend is going to LOVE your card. TFS my friend. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rich blue background show off your dove beautifully Susan... lovely card

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the look of this pretty card. i have not tried this technique before, but will give it a go as this effect is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a clean pristine card, that blue is so vibrant and the white dove was the perfect center piece. Just like the sentiment "Peace on Earth" xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.