A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 14 August 2018

Wildflower Monoprint with Birds

CAS Mix Up is featuring a technique that I really enjoy but am not always successful with - stencil monoprints.  After a couple of false starts, I came up with a piece I was happy to use and I made this card:


I used this video from SCS for my technique.  I used three colours of Distress mini inks, randomly pressing them onto my TH wildflower stencil.  Then I spritzed with water and flipped the stencil over onto a piece of watercolour paper.  I pressed and blotted with a rag to soak up extra water and press down on the stencil to get the ink to absorb into the watercolour paper.  After removing the stencil, I let it air dry.  Once dry, I put the stencil back in place and randomly inked up a text stamp and pressed it through the stencil.

I had a piece of black cs that I'd sprinkled and spritzed with Magicals.  I die cut two birds from it and again twice more from plain black cs, stacking them up for some substance and dimension.  I added them to the stenciled image, along with a white heat embossed sentiment on a black cs banner.  I popped the panel up on fun foam.

Here's a close-up of the birds showing some of the colour and shimmer from the Magicals:


For CAS Mix Up, I have the required stencil monoprint technique, stamping of both the sentiment and some text, the use of Magicals, die cutting, and heat embossing.





Supplies:
Stamps - Memory Box sentiment, unknown small script stamp
Ink - Distress Bundled Sage, Dusty Concord, and Faded Jeans for the monoprint; Distress Weathered Wood for the text; ColorBox white for the sentiment
Paper - watercolour paper, black and cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Tim Holtz wildflowers stencil, Magicals, Papermania Sea Foam White embossing powder



9 comments:

  1. gorgeous Susan, I love your stamping over the stencil and your magical birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty Susan. Love the colours of your stencil monoprint ... and those magical birds! :) Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card! Beautiful stencil monoprint. Love the colours and those sparkly magicals birds. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW...this is GORGEOUS Susan!! I love the colors you used for your monoprint and really LOVE the script that you stamped through the stencil afterwards...so cool looking! And your birds are...well magical! Lovely, lovely card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely Stunning Stencil Monoprint background with your wildflower stencil and distress inks, Susan. I love your added Magicals birds. TFS the close up of all the shimmer on your birds. So pleased you joined us at CAS Mix Up, my friend. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great background you created with your stencil Susan! love the colors you used and the sweet sparkly die cut birds sitting on the branches! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous monoprint effects with the beautiful color combination, Susan! I've never used Dusty Concord, but you inspired me to use it. :-) I love that you added the sparky Maicals birds. They are a great color accent and help to create a scene. The added script stamping is a nice touch too. Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your background is so unique and artsy and I love it. Mixing the medias and keeping your card CAS. The silhouette birds look amazing and gloriously shimmery x Thank you for joining in at The CAS Mix Up Challenge x.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your stencil monoprint and how you've stamped the script into the negative space! And those birds are beautiful with their sparkly "feathers"!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.